Sleep, Hibernate or Do nothing

Tigerllc74

I use my laptop as desktop computer most of the time.

I used to set laptop to sleep after 30 minute or so even on AC power.

Currently, I never allow "sleep" or "hibernate" while on AC power. but Screen saver is activated after 30 minutes.

Complete shut down 1-2 times per week.

I would like to hear any comments on this matter. Is there any danger with NOT "sleep" when computer is not used ???

Also, if computer is on "sleep", does automatically scheduled programs (spyware or backup) still operate ??

Thanks,

Tiger

• Moderators

I wouldn't leave a laptop on all the time. I leave my desktop on 24/7 and only reboot it on updates, but laptops tend to run hotter than desktops.

With dust getting in, and the fans spinning all the time, it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

I have 4 fans in my desktop and the thing runs ice cold compared to my laptop.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that leaving a laptop plugged in 24/7 is hell on the battery. Its good to let it drain down every now and then completely. Leaving it plugged in will kill its capacity faster.

... Forgot to mention that leaving a laptop plugged in 24/7 is hell on the battery. Its good to let it drain down every now and then completely.

Hmmmm, you're right of course. *makes mental note to let netbook battery run down more often* ;)

I heard that using laptop 24/7 on AC power do not need battery installed.

Leaving battery space open shouldn't be any problem except (maybe) for dust ??

Any comments ??

Most manufactures account for such operations nowadays so it should be fine.

EDIT: BTW frequent powering down and up of computers can stress the components so leaving it on constantly is better than turning it on and off a lot, in the case of desktops, minus the dust factor. However the stress is greatly reduced if you do quick power downs and ups such as rebooting due to the heat levels of the components remaining the same, including laptops.

Laptops should be monitored for excessive dust buildup if leaving them on a lot. You may also want to elevate it on something to allow more air flow to the bottom if it has fan(s) or vents there.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.