Excellent recovered image files are not recognized

BrJohan

A disk accident forced me to recover photos from a couple of SD cards. Recuva recovered a large number of files among which most were recognized by my imageediting softwares. The files were recovered from Deep Scans and the state was given as "Excellent".

Those not recognized were recovered as .tif-files despite the fact that none of my cameras can produce such files. Both IrfanView and FastStone Image Viewer tells me that they are multipage TIFF files (3 pages) but neither of these programs is able to show me any image from any of the files. The filenames are given as "[dddddd].tif" where the letter d stands for a digit.

Downloader Pro is able to find relevant EXIF-data (Camera, date, time) in the files but crashes when I try to "download" them from the directory where Recuva stored them after recovery. From the Camera (in EXIF) I can infer that the files (should) contain RAW-images (.pef).

After renaming the files to .pef I could successfully get my editing SW to handle them.

What about Recuva's ability to recognize RAW-image files?

A disk accident forced me to recover photos from a couple of SD cards. Recuva recovered a large number of files among which most were recognized by my imageediting softwares. The files were recovered from Deep Scans and the state was given as "Excellent".

Those not recognized were recovered as .tif-files despite the fact that none of my cameras can produce such files. Both IrfanView and FastStone Image Viewer tells me that they are multipage TIFF files (3 pages) but neither of these programs is able to show me any image from any of the files. The filenames are given as "[dddddd].tif" where the letter d stands for a digit.

Downloader Pro is able to find relevant EXIF-data (Camera, date, time) in the files but crashes when I try to "download" them from the directory where Recuva stored them after recovery. From the Camera (in EXIF) I can infer that the files (should) contain RAW-images (.pef).

After renaming the files to .pef I could successfully get my editing SW to handle them.

What about Recuva's ability to recognize RAW-image files?

It is not just RAW files that Recuva has trouble with. It also has trouble with RAW partitions, while other data recovery util can scan for these lost partitions, recover all the date!