Bad Sectors

KrisReynolds

Right.... Had tonnes of problems with the drive but the long and short of it is that I ended up doing a quick format on the drive... not a major issue, before it gets to 1% of scanning, Recuva finds over 51000 files

However, after a while, the PC gets a BSOD and reboots. Taking a look at the Windows event log, it seems that there has been hundreds of drive errors with bad blocks. As it's found the 51000 files, I presume that the data is not on these bad blocks and so I dont need to use Recuva to scan them.

Is there any way to tell Recuva to ignore the bad blocks?

Thanks in anticipation...

Right.... Had tonnes of problems with the drive but the long and short of it is that I ended up doing a quick format on the drive... not a major issue, before it gets to 1% of scanning, Recuva finds over 51000 files

However, after a while, the PC gets a BSOD and reboots. Taking a look at the Windows event log, it seems that there has been hundreds of drive errors with bad blocks. As it's found the 51000 files, I presume that the data is not on these bad blocks and so I dont need to use Recuva to scan them.

Is there any way to tell Recuva to ignore the bad blocks?

Thanks in anticipation...

Formatting a drive in long format just checks for bad sectors / marks them bad if it finds them, & additionally generates a new Master File Table for windows that ignores the files that still exist. Quick format is the same, minus the bad sector check.

Finding data & being able to copy it are 2 diff things. I have worked on laptops that show files, pictures/videos etc that are on a bad sector but unable to copy those particular files (even with unlocker) due to it being directly in a bad sector on the disk drive. It is possible that files can be "found" but fail to copy. Just because it shows a file's location on the disk, does not always mean it is possible to copy that file. You can "move" the file to another place on the same drive a lot of times, but that just changes what location is pointing to the same data, not actually move the data. This is why if you choose "move" on a dataset that is in a corrupted sector, it appears to move it with no trouble, but you try to copy it & it fails.

Move does not actually move it if it resides on the same drive. The data stays in the same location, but the pointer to it gets updated. If you copy a file, it attempts to clone it, & this is where you run into problems. Also, if you choose "move" to another drive, partition etc, that does move the data as it is no longer able to just update the pointer to the data as the data is being taken off the drive!

Hope this helps!