SeaMonkey 2.0

johnfull

I've come to rely on Ccleaner to clean up everything in one step.

Yesterday, I updated my SeaMonkey 1.1.18 to the new 2.0.

It seems to not benefit from the same treatment yet.

If there is a version for Firefox/Thunderbird, it is now closer to that platform.

Is anyone working on support for SeaMonkey 2.0?

Thanks!

• Moderators

I can't speak for the devs, but I can say that they do take notice of all posts and suggestions, although of course they can't answer them all.

I've no experience of Seamonkey, but it sounds like they moved the goalposts with the new Version 2 with regard to the location of temp files and such. Going by recent changes in Firefox and Opera, they can not only change the location of stuff, they can also change the type of file used for storing it.

If you have any information on that, don't hesitate to post it here, as it will help other Seamonkey users as well as give another heads up to CCleaners developers. :)

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Dennis.

I have submitted your comments to the Seamonkey forum:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...996525#p7996525

There are many users of Ccleaner who use Seamonkey.

Seamonkey is the sole surviving Suite from the original Netscape, as you know.

Since the old 1.1.x series is ending with 1.1.18, we are all forced to migrate in order

to stay current with security fixes and the like. So, we will all be interested to find a

way to continue to use Ccleaner with the new version. As I said, it is modeled on

Firefox in order to streamline future development of both browsers, but I'm sure there

are differences as well, since it has an intergated mail application.

Someone who is knowledgable will submit a list of the pertinent changes and we can be

happy once again. As it is, someone suggested adding files in the Advanced User section.

I hesitate, as a novice, to endanger my archives in that way. Thanks for your attention!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to throw in a vote for SeaMonkey2 also. I think it is the best all around web browser/suite. I use it more than any other browser.

As far as finding out where files are stored, that shouldn't be too difficult for CCleaner developers, as they should be very experienced at this by now =) I'd imagine the secret's in the Registry or in some config files in the user's profile directorie(s).

And yes, SeaMonkey is FireFox's daddy. Previously known as "Netscape Navigator", then "Mozilla" (and sometimes "IceApe"), and finally... yep... "SeaMonkey". The funny thing is that FireFox was originally an innovative, light-weight spin-off, but now SeaMonkey seems (even with all of it's extra programs) to run much faster than FireFox 3.5.x. The tables have turned, and the new SeaMonkey 2.0 Web Browser is heavily based on FireFox (3.5.4 specifically). As far as I've heard, there is little - to - no difference for extensions anymore. It seems that it's actually a light-weight FireFox 3.5 in disguise.

As far as finding out where files are stored, that shouldn't be too difficult for CCleaner developers, as they should be very experienced at this by now =) I'd imagine the secret's in the Registry or in some config files in the user's profile directorie(s).

Still, a new version causes or can cause :angry: havoc :angry: for developers.

The question can also be raised as to how much of a "heads up" the SM2 developers gave to 3rd Party Software Developers such as Piriform so that they could "anticipate" where changes to a program (SM 2) would impact their software applications.

In my case, I am using (trying to use for over a month now) SeaMonkey 2 and had also begun the process to evaluate some of Piriform's products (many of which were downloaded over a month ago) but have held off waiting for a compatibility update for SeaMonkey.

As such, I and possibly others, have held off on any real use of their (Piriform) products until they have "accounted" for the new or current SeaMonkey iteration.

In my particular case, I did not have or use SM 1.x due to multiple issues in switching from Mozilla 1x to the early versions of SM (at which time I simply gave up on the early platform iterations) but was and am a "fan" of the concept of the "old Netscape" and/or the Mozilla Application Suite (which I had used for years for the majority of my online browsing until I was simply "forced" due to response and security issues to migrate to other supported platforms for routine use).

In short, if Piriform is going to adapt CCleaner and their other products, I certainly would appreciate a heads up as to when to expect this might be accomplished.

Alternatively, if they choose (which is their perogative) not to support it or make allowances for it - would appreciate a heads up also.

In light of the little I have seen via e-mail updates or read online in recent weeks - Piriform seemingly has little or no desire to make adaptations for the SM 2 platform to accommodate users or potential new users of their software - or did I miss something?

HTH

B)

There is a one-click (well actually 3+ clicks) option in SeaMonkey2 to clear private data. If you place a check in all the boxes, it will clear everything.

CCleaner is still a good cleaner. Shoot, even the commercial (pay) alternatives suck way worse (they make claims, but just clobber your system).

Does anyone remember Norton Utilities in the 90's? That program was the s**t. Now it is, hands down, the worst ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Deal me in...

I just started a new topic on this subject, but knew I should chime in here as well. I haven't used CCleaner for a couple of months now due to this.

PLEASE SUPPORT SEAMONKEY! It shouldn't be that much different than firefox. Too bad it isn't just emptying out a few folders like the old days... We wouldn't be so sad.

Mozilla should have made the profiles for seamonkey EXACTLY the same as firefox. Perhaps then many firefox compatible programs would just work. For all I know, they might be the same, just in differently named folders.

I'll give it a month and come back to check the forums before I give up on them. I hope they are watching.

Still a good product for other things.

Hey madman420!! I agree it is easy to clear history in Mozilla products, but does it do NSA7??? Nope. ...and since history is even more a part of a database, and not just files/folders to delete, perhaps it doesn't matter.

AND Father Norton must be rolling over in his grave don't you think? (again, I agree).

The most common piece of malware I found on PCs for many months was NORTON AV!

The new version of CCleaner works with SeaMonkey 2.x.

Tank you! Meantime, I've developed the habit of using the new SeaMonkey

feature 'Delete Private Data' under the 'Tools' button. It had a bug in the

2.0 version, which made passwords inaccessible until re-start, but that is

corrected in 2.0.1.

I'm not sure if there is a complete overlap of function.

The built-in cleaner will remove cache files while the program is running,

which Ccleaner will not do...

Any support for my favored, yet obscure browser is welcome. I haven't yet installed the new CC version, but plan to.

In my hope for this support, I imagined what Piriform must do to adjust to the many different browsers, programs and variations in Windows versions. Dennisd covered some of my thoughts in his post. It was the resulting feeling of hopelessness that caused me to chose my login name.

Kudos to johnfull for his efforts, as well as the 'invisible ones'. I suspect madman420 and seamonkeyboy are pleased as well, but I should let them speak for themselves.