Leftover Fragments?

mr don

Sometimes Defraggler seems to do a good job of defragging all the files. Other times, it seems to leave clusters of files scattered everywhere & "Defrag Complete" even when all the files are not consolidated?

In addition, the defragment option of moving files over 250 mb to the end of the drive seems not to work that great. Hit & miss. It happens on a clean XP SP2 install with 1024 MB DDR ram, 120 GB HD, 7,200 RPM - 3.2 GHZ dual core. It also seems to happen on friends machines I test.

I cannot understand why sometimes it does great! Then other times, it leaves files fragmented & having all over the drive? Why does it refuse to consolidate files & free space at times, leaving blocks here or there that are not part of the MFT or other "unmovable" files?

Why does selecting or de-selecting the 250 MB to the end of the drive option seem sometimes to have little effect. In fact, after running that, then switching back to normal & unchecking the option, it seems to defrag the exact same way as though I never ticked or unticked anything at all!

Anyone else have these problems?

It is not the antivirus, have AVG 9.

I am not using any disk locking tools, or encryptions, or even password protected account that I am testing this on!

P.S. Why does it sometimes take it hours to "defrag" 800 MB on a fast machine with a brand new fast hard disk? It shouldn't take that long, right? You can copy files from one partition or drive to another & it takes minutes!

Should it be that long for a few files to be "defragged" on a drive with 70% free space?