Virus Bulletin's new test

ePost

From Ars Technica:

? Pass: Alwil avast!, AVG I.S. Network Edition, BitDefender Security, CA eTrust, eScan Internet Security, ESET NOD32, F-Secure Anti-Virus, G Data AntiVirus, K7 Total Security, Kaspersky Anti-Virus, McAfee VirusScan, Microsoft Forefront, Quick Heal AntiVirus Lite, Symantec Endpoint, and Trustport Antivirus 2009.

? Fail: AhnLab V3Net (171 wildlist misses), Authentium Command (159 wildlist misses), Avira AntiVir Server (1 wildlist miss), Filseclab Twister (5655 wildlist misses, 1 false positive), Fortinet FortiClient (38 wildlist misses), Frisk F-PROT (159 wildlist misses), Ikarus virus.utilities (3759 wildlist misses, 4 false positives), Kingsoft I.S. 2009 Advanced (98 wildlist misses), Kingsoft I.S. 2009 Standard (2461 wildlist misses), Sophos Anti-Virus (1 wildlist miss), and VirusBuster for Servers (5 wildlist misses).

Link: http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/...r-2009-test.ars

And for all those (like me) disappointed by Avira's 'fail', here's a quote from the test report:

"The two most noticeable failures on this list are Sophos and Avira, though they both only missed one malware sample. "Avira couldn't detect only one of several thousand infected files, therefore the detection rate was not 100, but 99,99997 percent," an Avira spokesperson told Ars. "The rule for a VB100 is to have 100 percent, so Avira didn't get the VB100 award this time. The problem was already fixed by the time the VB magazine was published. All Avira products are able to detect 100 percent of the files since then.""