Recovering photos from SD memory card

toolsman

I have lost photos on a 1gb memory card. I plugged my Canon Power shot with the memory card inside into the USB port of my laptop and proceeded to try recover deleted photos. The Recuva program doesn't recognize the USB connection. I've looked at other forum questions and tried the suggestions (other than purchasing a card reader) with no luck. If I purchase a card reader and plug it into the USB port will the program recognize it as a drive? If so why can't it recognize the camera in the same USB port as a drive?

When I plug the camera in and check Win explorer it recognizes the camera but not as a drive. Can anyone offer ideas on how to read this card? I also have printer with a card slot. Will that help?

You can try this- it should make your camera show up as an ordinary usb drive, instead of a camera.

Do a Google search for shellexview- this is a freeware shell extension manager from nirsoft.com.

Open the program, search for the 'Scanners & Cameras' extension. Right click the extension and click disable.

You will have to reboot your computer after doing this. Once you reboot, plug in your camera, and it should show up as a normal removable disk, instead of a camera.

Once you are done, you can launch the program again, and enable 'Scanners & Cameras' again-- You will probably have to reboot for it to take effect.

If this don't work, you can get a little sd card reader from -anywhere- for about $20, but I assume you don't want to spend any money ;)