Problem--how to fix?

Sethamphetamine

The option at the bottom of CCleaner's cleaning list, wipe free space, doesn't work for me. There's about 630,000 MB worth of crap on my computer but after the hour long wipe of it, it mentions nothing and it all remains there on the next scan. I've tried leaving my computer at idle during this process and closing all programs--no luck. Of course I've also restarted it since then.

So how do I go about getting this feature to work and cleaning out the 630,000 MB? Also, what kind of files are these that are stored on my computer in the first place?

• Moderators

Hi Seth, and welcome to Piriform.

The wipe free space feature of CCleaner doesn't remove files.

When a file is deleted, the actual data still remains on your drive, but the Master File Table now designates that part of your drive as available to be written over.

Wipe Free Space overwrites all the designated "empty space" on your drive to prevent the data still there from being recovered.

Useful if you sell on your PC and have sensitive or personal data you don't want recovered. Have a read here:

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/using-cc...free-disk-space

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

Seth, you have 630 gb of crap? What do you mean, 630 gb of free space or what? If they are files, as you imply, then how did you identify them and what are the names (just a few will do)?