Windows error message after running CCleaner on registry

Bozy

Hi, new here, this looks like an excellent forum. Thanks.

And now, of course, the questions.

My first run of CCleaner registry analysis yielded a small crop of issues (sorry, I cannot remember the exact size) to include mostly MRU's, unassociated dll's, and previously uninstalled programs, all looked like junk to me, so I cleaned them. The program did its job, but when I shut it down, Windows gave me an error message to the effect that "You've touched my registry! :o (Like, haven't I warned you never to do that?!) I guess it's sensitive that way? Anyway, it said that bad/weird things could happen, including my system could become unstable (like Windows is stable? What a hoot!) And some programs might not run or behave as before.

So, like everyone else I suppose, I proceeded with fear, trepidation and sweatier-than-usual palms, just waiting for the "other shoe" to drop--(my system to crash and burn.) That was about two weeks ago. To date, nothing has happened (that I know of), and I've operated as normal, except with more speed.

(Two paragraphs in, has the kid asked a question yet?) Sorry for the TMI, but you had to know a little of where I started with CC, didn't ya?

OK, here are the questions...What with the Windows Warning, should I just keep marching until I hit a brick wall? Have others gotten similar messages? Do I need to do something or nothing?

And last, but not least, how do I get CC to delete unwanted cookies? (Options\Cookies\Cookies To Delete), not the checkbox.

If you got this far, you're a champ, and I appreciate your bearing with me and promise to keep future ques. brief unless you ask for more info.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3029 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F3, 9/2/2004

SMBIOS Version 2.3

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

Any constructive comments or helpful suggestions would be appreciated,

Bozy

If you do not know what you are doing, think twice and be careful.

That especially applies to the Registry.

If you used the very strongly recommended option to backup up the registry items when cleaning then :-

1. You would have a high probability of success at restoring the registry back to normality, and

2. By posting the backup as *.txt files some-one here could probably see what might have done damage.

If you have no backup I think you MAY have luck be using System Restore to revert back to a date preceeding your adventure.

I will not bother with cookies - they will keep for another day.

The registry is another matter - if you want to fix it then do so urgently.

The longer you leave it the further back System Restore may have to go.

Alan.

• Moderators

Hi Bozy, and welcome to Piriform.

Good advice from Alan, and I enjoyed reading your post. :)

But I'm curious as to what the error message actually said, in particular did it give an error number?

'DennisD' said in post='142732'

But I'm curious as to what the error message actually said, in particular did it give an error number?

You and me, both, Dennis. I haven't a clue what Windows does with those (in terms of saving or logging them somewhere). I'm just not that much of a computer sophisticate. B) [Can I still wear the cool glasses?]

Oh, BTW, did the question re: "how-to" get CC to delete cookies from its list get answered?

Thanks.

Bozy

• Moderators

If the error message pops up again, see if you can catch the details.

The cookies in the "Cookies To Delete" window get deleted when you run CCleaner, as long as you have the relevant cookies boxes checked in the other sections of CCleaner.

The window is mainly there to enable you to move wanted cookies to the "Cookies To Keep" window.

If you are running CCleaner and the "Cookies To Delete" window isn't clearing, then that's another story.

:)