Encoded Files

Cheryle

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know why all files recovered with Recuva are encoded? Every file recoved was encoded and unreadable. According to the program the files are good. Can anyone help me with this? I've uploaded a sample of what I was speaking of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I no longer trust Recuva's file condition indicator. See my post somewhere in this forum.

I tried opening the file in numerous programs and tried a few Word repair programs with no success. I could not even recover text. I don't know if it makes a difference... and maybe someone else can answer... does a file have a better chance of full recovery of a deep scan is done? Will it pick up more fragments of a file?

This file was NOT encrypted or password protected before it was recovered?

If your version of Windows has Shadow Copy, try that. In the home version of Vista Shadow Copy works but Microsoft took out the tool to access old versions of files. That's why there's http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

Also some name brand security suite... McAfee or Nortons, has some anti-delete protection. You might have it and not even know it.