Problem with system tray

TeeJay3800

I'm having a bit of a weird problem. I like to have the battery charge indicator in the system tray so it's easy to check the battery's charge status. Lately, every time I reboot, the icon disappears and I have to go back to Control Panel to turn it back on. This didn't use to happen. The only thing I can think of is I recently did a registry issue scan in CCleaner and it found three new entries in the system32 folder...one of them was pxwma.dll, and the other two were similar. That may be unrelated to this problem, but what can I do to keep the charge icon in the system tray even after a reboot? Thanks!

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

Hi TeeJay, I dunno if they're related to your problem, but that file is flagged as Adware, as shown here:

http://www.systemlookup.com/CLSID/34762-pxwma_dll.html

I'd at least do a full scan of your system, and if necessary follow the advice here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

I don't know enough to know if that's a major nasty or a minor one, but according to the link through to Symantec, it's risk impact is high:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-102111-4150-99

Thanks Dennis. First of all, the topic should say "problem." ;) I did a full system scan with MBAM which found no malware, and HiJackThis doesn't show any problems. The weird thing is, this is a very inconsistent problem. 75% of the time, the icon will appear normally, but every once in a while, it won't pop up. This problem may or may not be related to malware. Any further ideas?

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

I've fixed the title, but at the moment I can't offer any more ideas. I take it the suspicious system32 file has gone, otherwise you'd be posting in the Spyware section of the forum.

These intermitent things are difficult to pin down, but if anyone has had/fixed a similar problem I'm sure they'll contribute, as will I if I can find anything.

Just one thought is the task bar/system tray right click "Properties\Customize". I've ocassionally had system tray icons reverting to "Always Hide" for some still unknown reason. What is your battery icon set at in the customize window?

Just one thought is the task bar/system tray right click "Properties\Customize". I've ocassionally had system tray icons reverting to "Always Hide" for some still unknown reason. What is your battery icon set at in the customize window?

This is on my older Windows 2000 machine, so there are no options for hiding icons in the system tray.

I just realized that it doesn't take a reboot to make it disappear...sometimes just logging off and back on will do it.

This isn't a huge deal, it's just that I fear it might be indicative of a more serious problem.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png