recuva hangs at 25% on deep scan

gary.c

hi

i had an external drive with music pdf and video files backed up on

i used the drive elsewhere (at a party) but beefore i did i copied it in back onto the pc hard drive.

having used it successfully i deleted the files from my HD then the recycle bin (200Gb or so)

The portable drive has now had a hissy fit and wont work

so i've installed recuva to reclaim my 'lost files' from my PC HD

BUT

the first scan finds some files which it ignores - i get nothing in the filename/path window

then a deep scan (first for all file types, then music, then finally today video) finds thousands of files and folders

BUT

it hangs on 25% and wont finish. and i still cant 'see' any deleted files in any window of recuva.

any assistance appreciated

thanks

Gary

How long have you let Recuva run?

I just recently did a recovery session myself. The program was working at about 1% every 10 minutes, but then appeared to hang at 10% for about 2-3 hours. I continued to let it run through the night and when I checked it this morning, it was done.

The reason for the hang mostly depends on how large the drive is that you will be scanning. The larger the drive, the larger the hang. This is because of how Recuva works. It scans the ENTIRE drive for files (instead of looking at the file map which is how most programs find drive information). The hang is caused when Recuva is scanning a portion of the Hard Disk with no information on it at all. If it is a fairly large sized disk, it can take quite some time to look through all of the clusters for files whether they exists or not.

How long have you let Recuva run?

I just recently did a recovery session myself. The program was working at about 1% every 10 minutes, but then appeared to hang at 10% for about 2-3 hours. I continued to let it run through the night and when I checked it this morning, it was done.

The reason for the hang mostly depends on how large the drive is that you will be scanning. The larger the drive, the larger the hang. This is because of how Recuva works. It scans the ENTIRE drive for files (instead of looking at the file map which is how most programs find drive information). The hang is caused when Recuva is scanning a portion of the Hard Disk with no information on it at all. If it is a fairly large sized disk, it can take quite some time to look through all of the clusters for files whether they exists or not.

Thanks

yes i left it over night and it was 25% when i went to bed and 25% when i woke up!

i'll give it another go though.

also, could you tell me what's with the ignoring of files found during the initial 'non deep' scan? are they too far gone to recover?

(i have used recuva on another drive on another pc and it's found some stuff that had been deleted so i've found it useful regardless and will be recommending it to friends and colleagues. cheers)