Windows XP Internet icon

jeff n

I just re-formatted a computer and installed Windows MediaCenter 2005 software. I am able to get to the Internet through Windows update. I have done all updates for my programs and IE7.

My problem is when I go to START and INTERNET and double click, only the Internet Properties menus are displayed.

I have another system where under the INTERNET icon has the words INTERNET EXPLORER. Those words are missing on my system and I am unable to connect through the normal means. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

• Moderators

Hi Jeff, and welcome to the forum.

You don't say which operating system you have, and I don't have "Start\Internet" on my XP Desktop, but first thoughts are to give you an active Internet Explorer shortcut you can use.

You can either go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, and right click the iexplore.exe file and select "Send to... Desktop", or right click and select "Pin to Start Menu".

Or, you can right click the "Start" button, select "Properties", and you will see a couple of boxes under "Show On Start Menu". Check the "Internet" box and choose the browser you want to see on the Start Menu.

I dunno what's happened to your usual iExplorer icon, but I hope this helps.

I use IE from the Quick Launch Toobar:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...uicklaunch.mspx

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

To flush icons (Reset locations of all icon on desktop):

1. Download Dial-a-fix

2. Run the software and find the little hammer icon that says tools (Right side of the bottom)

3. Now find and select "Flush icons"

4. Lastly, click you can click on the button GO

To rebuild icons:

1. Download TweakUI and add to Control Panel

2. Run the software and find the word "Repair" from the menu on the left-hand side

3. Choose "Rebuild Icons" and click "Repair now"

4. Reboot your computer

5. Go to start menu and click Run

6. Type Regedit and find the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

7. In the right-pane, double-click Shell Icon BPP and set it's value to 16

8. Close Registry Editor and reboot

I just re-formatted a computer and installed Windows MediaCenter 2005 software. I am able to get to the Internet through Windows update. I have done all updates for my programs and IE7.

My problem is when I go to START and INTERNET and double click, only the Internet Properties menus are displayed.

I have another system where under the INTERNET icon has the words INTERNET EXPLORER. Those words are missing on my system and I am unable to connect through the normal means. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

might try control panel> add/remove> on the left side add windows components and determine if the explorer box is checked.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.