IE browser very slow after CCleaner cleaning

TechDeck

Hi folks,

Whenever I run CCleaner, IE is very, very slow (as in about 20-30 seconds) immediately after the clean. Once it finally gets to the website (like Google.com), it is fine, but it is a pain waiting for that period of time whenever I run CCleaner.

If I simply use the Internet Options to clean out cookies, Temporary Internet Files, and History, it is fine, but if I use CCleaner, then it gives that slowness issue.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have IE version 6, SP2, running on Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome TechDeck

Try disabling all check marks then enable one at a time to see which one is causing the problem and let us know.

You should update to SP3 as it has been available for over 4 months now and tomorrow is Patch Tuesday with a few more updates coming.

IE6 is very vulnerable to infections so down load IE7 and install IE7Pro:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx

http://www.ie7pro.com/

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

OK - I'll try IE7 and IE7Pro and see if that takes care of it. If not, I'll do the checkmark thing and enable them one at a time.

I'll let you know what happens...

Hi TechDeck,

Welcome to the forums. :D

It is great to hear from members for the first time. I try to keep a viewpoint of a new user and your report reminded me of the same that happened to me.

Have you checked off your "cookies to keep" at Options > Cookies. This helps some but if I recall properly the culprit may be index.dat files being cleaned and "prefetch files". I am not sure what Windows does and where it gets it's info to build new index.dat files but this problem will go away.

I did an inordinate amount of "cleaning" and "deleting" a year ago because this PC had no maintenance since new 3 1/2 years earlier. I had the same situation that you described.

You will learn here, do not mess with the "Prefetch" files. Windows does a perfect job of handling these. Messing with them will do nothing beneficial. It will slow down many things, considerably. "Prefetch" is your friend not your enemy.

Turn off any Advanced cleaning options if you have them turned on.

Best thing that happened to me was IE7 and IE7Pro. :D And of course CCleaner !!! :P

Good luck,

:) davey

I actually remember reading your post about the prefetch stuff and the index.dat files, so I turned off the prefetch, and it still was slow...

But I did as YoKenny said, and I installed IE7 first, and that fixed the slowness. Immediately after a clean, it pulled up Google.com in record time. So the upgrade to IE7 did it. There must be something with IE6 and CCleaner that happens and they don't play together too nicely.

So if anyone has the same issue, just upgrade to IE7 and that should do the trick.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Thanks for the follow-up. This is just the information many others need to see.

Just keep in mind that the "prefetch" files take a little while to rebuild properly. This will affect the running of your other applications.

IE6 was nothing short of a nightmare in my experience. IE7 ended so many problems I couldn't believe it.

Many large company IT administrators were upset that IE7 was not part of SP3. They were hoping MS would save them the effort but there are too many other companies with IE6 dependencies to do this.

:) davey