Windows XP won't run after CCleaner

Little John

I recently ran some anti-spyware software on one of my systems (AdAware 2008 and Spybot Search & Destroy) and eliminated a host of malevolent software. The system then ran fine; everything seemed peachy keen. Next I ran CCleaner on the same system and followed the recommendations for deleting files and fixing registry entries. Shortly thereafter (it may have been the very next time I rebooted but I'm not certain), I received the following error message as my Windows XP machine was booting up:

"This application has failed to start because OLEAUT32.dll was not found. Re-Installing the application may fix this problem" The blue bar across the top added the following: ?Isass.exe - Unable to Locate Component.?

I was able to click through this error message but then received a series of identical error messages, each time with the blue bar across the top citing a different component - userinit.exe, services.exe, explorer.exe. Eventually I reached the Windows background screen, but my desktop did not initialize.

From this point I tried to run Task Manager, but got a message that OLEPRO32.dll was missing. I was able to click through that error message and get to Task Manager, and ran the command prompt. I determined that both file OLEAUT32.dll and OLEPRO32.dll were not present in the ..\Windows\System32 directory.

I made a copy of both missing *.dll files from another Windows XP computer and installed them on the problem system using DOS copy from the command prompt and rebooted. Everything seemed to be working correctly; there were no error messages and Windows desktop initialized just fine. I was able to run some programs and access the internet and my home network. However, the next time I rebooted the system, I was back where I started from - with the error message that Oleaut32.dll was missing.

Did I do something with CCleaner that could cause this behavior? Or has my machine become infected with a virus or a trojan horse? I can't seem to locate any useful information about this situation. Has anyone seen this problem before or have any idea what?s going on.

I recently ran some anti-spyware software on one of my systems (AdAware 2008 and Spybot Search & Destroy) and eliminated a host of malevolent software. The system then ran fine; everything seemed peachy keen. Next I ran CCleaner on the same system and followed the recommendations for deleting files and fixing registry entries. Shortly thereafter (it may have been the very next time I rebooted but I'm not certain), I received the following error message as my Windows XP machine was booting up:

"This application has failed to start because OLEAUT32.dll was not found. Re-Installing the application may fix this problem" The blue bar across the top added the following: ?Isass.exe - Unable to Locate Component.?

I was able to click through this error message but then received a series of identical error messages, each time with the blue bar across the top citing a different component - userinit.exe, services.exe, explorer.exe. Eventually I reached the Windows background screen, but my desktop did not initialize.

From this point I tried to run Task Manager, but got a message that OLEPRO32.dll was missing. I was able to click through that error message and get to Task Manager, and ran the command prompt. I determined that both file OLEAUT32.dll and OLEPRO32.dll were not present in the ..\Windows\System32 directory.

I made a copy of both missing *.dll files from another Windows XP computer and installed them on the problem system using DOS copy from the command prompt and rebooted. Everything seemed to be working correctly; there were no error messages and Windows desktop initialized just fine. I was able to run some programs and access the internet and my home network. However, the next time I rebooted the system, I was back where I started from - with the error message that Oleaut32.dll was missing.

Did I do something with CCleaner that could cause this behavior? Or has my machine become infected with a virus or a trojan horse? I can't seem to locate any useful information about this situation. Has anyone seen this problem before or have any idea what?s going on.

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums. :P

Sorry it not in better circumstances.

With everything that is going around recently, using the Spyware Hell forum is the best thing for you to do.

Follow all the instructions at this link. You may need to leave your system running until you get this resolved.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17457

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. Do what you can to prevent the other computers from being infected also.

Not positive-BUT-you did mention that you removed some "malevolent" material using the 2 programs. Sadly, that is not enough. We see machines that appear to be cleaned up with either or both of those programs and yet when we run A Squared there may be more issues. The other forum may be a better place to get help. CCleaner will not do any harm so that should not be the problem for you. Some of the most recent malware is very good at hiding itself and you may in the end be forced to do a "clean" install of XP after formatting the drive. Get the best anti-virus program you can and run it as well. Also, move ALL of your data files off the drive and check them with the anti-virus program on the data drive you create externally.

Just some ideas from a tech who has been there.