CCleaner Removes "Log On Automatically"

glissonr

The problem I'm having is that I use Tweak UI and check "Log on Automatically at System Startup" so I don't have to punch any buttons or type in any passwords. After CCleaner runs (automatically at startup), this box is unchecked and next time I boot, I have to logon. I can't figure out what part of CCleaner is doing this. Any ideas?

Welcome glissonr

I run CCleaner on both my XP Home and Pro system without having to logon.

1. Click on the Start Menu

2. Click Run

3. In the open field type: control userpasswords2

4. Click OK

5. An User Accounts Dialog Box will open.

6. Select the Users Tab

7. Clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer checkbox

8. Select the Advanced Tab

9. If it is not already, clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before logging on checkbox

10. Press Apply

11. A dialog box will open asking you for user name and password

12. Input the information into these fields

13. Click OK

14. Click on Start Menu again

15. Open your Control Panel

16. Open User Accounts

17. Click Change the way users log on or off

18. If it is not already, clear checkbox for Use the Welcome Screen

19. If it is not already, clear checkbox for Use Fast User Switching

20. Click the Apply Options button

21. Reboot to see your results

I have tested this on systems that are in not part of a network. Network systems may require additional/different steps such as described in this Microsoft Support Article

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

The problem I'm having is that I use Tweak UI and check "Log on Automatically at System Startup" so I don't have to punch any buttons or type in any passwords. After CCleaner runs (automatically at startup), this box is unchecked and next time I boot, I have to logon. I can't figure out what part of CCleaner is doing this. Any ideas?

Hello glissonr,

Welcome to the forum :)

What version of TweakUI are you using. It must be 2.0 or 2.1 for WinXP or Windows Server 2003.

I use WinXP Pro SP3 and TweakUI 2.10.

I don't normally use automatic log-on but I tested it every way there is and it always works.

The user trying to Auto log-on must be in the Administrator group.

If you are also using WinXP PRO SP1 and TweakUI 2.1 or above than something else is changing that setting and not CCleaner.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm WinXP tweakUI 2.1 or 2.0

Maybe this will work but Welcome on or off and/or Fast user switching works for me.

This may help you. http://www.ronstultz.com/knowledge/Documen...20Autologon.htm

If you are using older Windows then use ver TweakUI 1.33

Logon: If you work in an office and reboot often, having to type in your password every time you log on to your computer can be a nuisance. This tab allows you to bypass that process by letting Windows automatically log you on to the system at start-up. Check the box labeled "Log on Automatically at System Startup," enter your username and password, then click Apply. Keep in mind that the password is not encrypted, and anyone with access to your computer will be able to use RegEdit to read it. This feature works only for the Microsoft Networking log-on dialog, and the Clear Last User setting located under the Paranoia tab must be disabled in order for this to work.

Good luck,

:) davey