Internet Problems....different user.....a little different issue

computerrook101

Hey all.

I feel as though I'm in a semi- serious crisis stage right now. Long story short......I started getting some unwanted pop-ups that were coming through the pop-up blocker on my computer (btw, I have Windows Vista with IE7). I couldn't stand it, so I was doing some research, and I read from multiple sources that CCleaner was the way to get rid of the problem. I downloaded it from filehippo.com, and kind of went in thinking I knew what I was doing. I only checked the "internet explorer" box when analyzing the issue. So I analyzed that whole portion of it, and cleaned out all of what they told me to.

Something told me afterwards that I probably shouldn't have done it, but I was convinced that most of it was just temporary internet files (and I did say MOST, knowing there were some other things). So I cleaned house, expecting there not to be anymore problems. Sure enough, I click on the Internet Explorer icon on my desktop.....and it doesn't load. I tried it again....same thing. I find the link under the start menu....no luck. Tried doing the "run" method......that didn't work either. I'm starting to think that I may have accidently "cleaned" something that I needed (some kind of file extension maybe), but don't really know what kind or even if I'm right at all. I tried to uninstall IE, and reinstall it through microsoft, but I can't even uninstall it because the program isn't even showing up on the "uninstall' window. And then maybe I thought I could download it and override the old file, but it won't let me, already detecting that I have it.

I want to try to get this back to normal without compromising the computer. I'm really stressing about this. Any help would be great. I'll check back in the a.m.

Thanks

Hey all.

I feel as though I'm in a semi- serious crisis stage right now. Long story short......I started getting some unwanted pop-ups that were coming through the pop-up blocker on my computer (btw, I have Windows Vista with IE7). I couldn't stand it, so I was doing some research, and I read from multiple sources that CCleaner was the way to get rid of the problem. I downloaded it from filehippo.com, and kind of went in thinking I knew what I was doing. I only checked the "internet explorer" box when analyzing the issue. So I analyzed that whole portion of it, and cleaned out all of what they told me to.

Something told me afterwards that I probably shouldn't have done it, but I was convinced that most of it was just temporary internet files (and I did say MOST, knowing there were some other things). So I cleaned house, expecting there not to be anymore problems. Sure enough, I click on the Internet Explorer icon on my desktop.....and it doesn't load. I tried it again....same thing. I find the link under the start menu....no luck. Tried doing the "run" method......that didn't work either. I'm starting to think that I may have accidently "cleaned" something that I needed (some kind of file extension maybe), but don't really know what kind or even if I'm right at all. I tried to uninstall IE, and reinstall it through microsoft, but I can't even uninstall it because the program isn't even showing up on the "uninstall' window. And then maybe I thought I could download it and override the old file, but it won't let me, already detecting that I have it.

I want to try to get this back to normal without compromising the computer. I'm really stressing about this. Any help would be great. I'll check back in the a.m.

Thanks

Hi computerrook,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Tough luck on the circumstances,though.A lot of users are referred to CCleaner or our forum.

CCleaner is not a "malware" tool.Something "bad" has slipped past your defenses.

Luckily Vista System Restore works a lot better than WinXP.

The first thing to do is a System Restore back at least as far as your IE7 is working again.

P.S. You might restore as far back as the "pop-up" stops showing up also.

P.S. A good site for more Vista System Restore insight. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html Windows Vista, System Restore

The "baddie" may still be hiding in your system though.Once you get IE7 working go to this link and follow the instructions.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=11000

This will help handle what is causing your problem and make sure it doesn't come back.

You also need some good "anti-malware" software on your system to help rid these type of things.

Your friends sent you to a good safe forum for help.

Come back anytime.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Edited by davey

Davey..........you are a savior. I did the system restore, and all seems to be well. I do have symantec anti-virus on my computer, scanned it, and no risks were found. I'm starting to think when I was surfing the internet the other night, I surfed one too many sites, and got something planted along the way. I appreciate the assistance. I will come back here for sure if I have any other issues.

Thanks again