keeping Cookies

MMM

I am running CCleaner v2.8.588 on my XP Pro SP3 laptop. But I have a problem with the cookie delete feature.

I choose to keep cookies from certain websites and when I review the cookies folder in Windows, those cookies are kept (example mario@news.yahoo[1].txt).

But when I go to the websites, the websites act as if it was the first time I was going to that website, and a new cookie for that website shows up (example mario@news.yahoo[2].txt).

It appears that the cookies are being kept, but then they are not 'seen' by IE generating a new cookie.

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Mario

Welcome to Piriform MMM.

Well I don't know if this is a glitch with SP3 because it works perfectly for me with WinXP SP2. I've heard that SP3 has caused ever more problems perhaps the SP4 will clear them. ;)

Did it work ok with your old SP2?

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I did not use CCleaner with SP2 and don't have a machine with SP2 to try it.

But I've been doing some additional testing and here is something interesting.... When I start with an empty Cookies folder and then visit a website, I end up with a cookie for it, mario@finance.yahoo[1].txt

Then, I run CCleaner and the cookie remains there, as expected. However, when I re-visit the website, it is as if the cookie did not exists and then generates another cookie for the website, mario@finance.yahoo[3].txt

However, when I leave that website, cookie #3 renames itself to cookie #2, a new one.

I run CCleaner again, and both cookies are there, #1 and #2. The information from cookie #2 is always there.

I ran CCleaner multiple times and the information from cookie #2 always comes up.

Don't really understand it....

I manually deleted cookie #1 and left cookie #2. When I revisited the website, cookie #2 became cookie #1, holding the same information as cookie #2. But when I left the website, cookie #1 became cookie #2 again.

I ran CCleaner multiple times and cookie #2 is still there with the same information.

Go figure....

MM

I'm running SP3 and that cookie behavior is the same as it was in SP2.

When I look at my cookies in WinPatrol I often see multiple cookies for sites I want to keep.

They don't take up much space so I don't worry about them.

About once a month I clean out all my cookies then log back in to wherever I want then insure I save those cookies.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user