Backup?

kilburg

I installed bookmarksync and it deleted my bookmarks. I'm thinking they may have went to my recycle bin but I have CCleaner set to clean that at startup. I think I remember seeing a way to restore part of the registry but will this allow me to restore my bookmarks?

I installed bookmarksync and it deleted my bookmarks. I'm thinking they may have went to my recycle bin but I have CCleaner set to clean that at startup. I think I remember seeing a way to restore part of the registry but will this allow me to restore my bookmarks?

Hello killburg,

I am not sure about your bookmarks but you definitely need to to disable CCleaner at start-up.If you have XP and the latest version of CCleaner 2.08 then you can disable it at TOOLS > Startup untick CCleaner entry in the startup list. This will disable it. If not latest version you can at least rename CCleaner.exe to something else.You want to do this before anything else.You also don't want any other maintenance programs to auto-start and ruin your chances of recovery.

I would also turn off the option to Empty the Recycle bin.I recommend that users do this under their direct control.

Depending on what created these bookmarks,it is possible to get them back.

The first place to start is here.(I did some research).Best to do what they recommend first.You best chances are here.

http://bookmarksync.com/help/faq.php#deleted

The following info will help others to possibly come up with a solution.

These answers help to evaluate the problem.Just fill in the answers next to or below the questions?

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Are you running with Administrator privileges.

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Need more info about what bookmarks etc.

Book mark program name and software company name and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

When did you last backup your Registry with ERUNT And/OR create a System Restore point?

Do a backup of your Registry with ERUNT AND/OR create a System Restore point NOW.Preferably use both.This way you have a backup of how you stand at this moment.

If you have other back up utilities use them also.

I hope all these bookmarks are worth all this effort.You are now at a stable position to do something about recovering those bookmarks.

Some users panic and don't do these basic things first.

It is important to answer those questions above and post back here on this thread. As soon as you can.this way someone can assist you better.

In the meantime you can refresh up on System Restore.This way you won't do something that you shouldn't.

System Restore

http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html Restore a Windows XP system to a previous State using System Restore

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html Windows Vista, System Restore

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the College of Hard Knocks.

:) davey

Edited by davey

Thanks Davey!

I tryed the system restore at 2 points and for some reason it failed to finish correctly. It worked ok a few months ago.

Anyway, I went right to my plan b after trying that. I put in the cd that i burned them to and salvaged 90% of them!