Probem with clusters

Longshanks

Hi Everyone

New to this board having just downloaded version 2.8.0.588. I use Vista and IE 7 (I think!)

Have only run default options so far and not tweaked the advanced settings. I know that CCleaner is supposed to erase index dat files and other web browsing records but I have a question. The prog runs on my system OK and always reports that the entries have been removed but if I check with other software (Directory Snoop) there is a myriad of entries in unused clusters on the hard drive.

I suspect that this is a Windows issue and that these entries would not be touched by other more sophisticated cleaning tools.

Am I right?

I thought that the fact that these entries were in "unused clusters" meant that they were ripe for removal.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Longshanks

I suspect that this is a Windows issue and that these entries would not be touched by other more sophisticated cleaning tools.

Am I right?

I thought that the fact that these entries were in "unused clusters" meant that they were ripe for removal.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Longshanks

Hello Longshanks,

I am not familiar with Directory Snoop.

CCleaner does not search for areas to clean.It only cleans commonly used files and specific areas requested by the user.

It does not "secure delete" any files other than those it cleans itself.

Piriform does have another product that is used to recover deleted files and also can be used to "overwrite" deleted files.

That product is called Recuva and found here. http://www.recuva.com

Good luck,

:) davey