CCleaner made my CD/DVD drive not work

OneofGodskids

I just used CCleaner today. My Cd drive was working fine. Now it is not working at all. I don't even get any error messages when I put a cd in. It just does nothing. When I go to the device manager I do see the cd/dvd drive but it has a circle with the exclamation point. I have uninstalled and reinstalled this device. I have also tried updates but there are none. Iknow this was CCleaner. Now what do I do. Please don't be to technical. Thanks

What checkbox items were ticked when you ran CCleaner, and did you do a "scan for issues" and fix any of those? More importantly, if you scanned for issues (registry cleaning) and fixed any, did you make (or let CCleaner make) a backup? If so, that would be a good place to start.

I assume you are using Windows XP?

I had what seems to be the exact same problem, my CD drive in XP disappeared unexpectedly.

Not sure if it was CCleaner that caused it though. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers failed to solve it too.

Possible solution

I'll try to be as simple as possible but it is a complicated thing to explain:

Where you get the yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager, right click and select Properties.

Under general tab see if the error code is any of 31,32,19,39 or 41.

If it is this may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Ben-us%3B314060

Do read it fully and backup the registry before taking any action as this is a fix which involves messing with the registry.

Also you may have to reinstall any CD/DVD burning software after doing the fix.

It worked for me, just follow the Microsoft instructions one at a time, step by step.

Hope this helps get it fixed.

elyoh