Uninstaller Program

Mike Corey

In the uninstaller program you have three options (1) Run installer, (2) Rename entry or (3) Delete Entry.

What are the differences and effects of each? I am thinking of removing all Microsoft updates and hot fixes

as my computerr has slowed down to a disturbing degree.....and, it wasn't that fast to start with....

Thank you,

Mike Corey

MICORE@AOL.COM

For your question:

1) The first option runs the uninstaller that came with the program to get rid of it - like going through your control panel.

2) The second is just renaming it...say if you have a file name or program that maybe got change.d

3) The third is used if you uninstalled something, but it is still showing up in your program list and it won't go away

That is highly discouraged, for the fact that some things might not work once you try getting rid of things.

Have you ran spyware scans, defragged your harddrive, ran virus scans???

What are your specs - OS hardware etc

AJ

For your question:

1) The first option runs the uninstaller that came with the program to get rid of it - like going through your control panel.

2) The second is just renaming it...say if you have a file name or program that maybe got change.d

3) The third is used if you uninstalled something, but it is still showing up in your program list and it won't go away

That is highly discouraged, for the fact that some things might not work once you try getting rid of things.

Have you ran spyware scans, defragged your harddrive, ran virus scans???

What are your specs - OS hardware etc

AJ

AJ:

Thanks for prompt response.....To answer: Compac Pressario--386 Athalon Processor, 364 MB of Ram, Windows XP home edition.....What else would help? As I said, it's already slow, so whenever I get a chance to "dump" something I do. If I make a mistake, I can always use the "restore" feature, which I have done on numerous instances.....

I wanted to dump all the Microsoft updates, security, etc. because that's about all I have added to my knowledge and it ran fraster before.....AOL takes a lot of resource, too....So I don't accept updates, etc. from Aol either. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

Thanks again,

Mike Corey

MICORE@AOL.COM

AJ:

Thanks for prompt response.....To answer: Compac Pressario--386 Athalon Processor, 364 MB of Ram, Windows XP home edition.....What else would help? As I said, it's already slow, so whenever I get a chance to "dump" something I do. If I make a mistake, I can always use the "restore" feature, which I have done on numerous instances.....

I wanted to dump all the Microsoft updates, security, etc. because that's about all I have added to my knowledge and it ran fraster before.....AOL takes a lot of resource, too....So I don't accept updates, etc. from Aol either. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

Thanks again,

Mike Corey

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

The Restore feaure does not re-install all software.

As CTskifreak said you don't want to "Uninstall" these MS updates.

You can remove Hot Fix Unstallers which are used to uninstall Hot Fixes that are not working properly.Once you are certain that the Hot Fixes are working OK you can get rid of the Hotfix Uninstaller.You can do this using the Cleaner > Advanced > Hotfix Uninstallers option.Just remember to to turn this option "off" after using it.This will get you some Hard disk space but will not improve your system performance.

I also have a pretty slow machine and it was down to 6-8 minutes boot time and the same to turn off the computer.Since joining the forum and getting good help and advice my PC runs as good as new.

The advice CTskifreak gave you are the first things I would do.

Norton/Symantec was eating up my machine so I removed it and Installed Windows Live One Care.

I removed Windows Live One Care and installed AVG Free Edition.It found some spyware which it removed.My PC speed went up and I still have real-time protection with automatic updates.It does not "bog down" my PC like the others did.

AVG Free Edition. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-prod...s/frt/0?prd=aff

I also advise you to read and follow this link.There are more things to improve your speed later.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96510 daves advice

This will keep you busy for awhile but it is well worth the effort.

Good Luck and let us know how things are going.Then we will talk about other things to improve performance.

:) davey

P.S. Also here is a handy little tool for us guys who have to watch our Mega Bytes.

http://www.carthagosoft.net MemInfo - a Pentium or higher computer with 32MB Ram - Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Server FREEWARE

I also agree with you about automatic updates.However I do accept prioity updates from MS and AVG.There is too much fast spreading malware out there!!!

Edited by davey