Cookies

Dennis Vogel

First, thank you for CCleaner. It's a great program and the price is right.

I know cookies is a hot topic here. I've read through many past posts about how to keep cookies from getting deleted and I'm still confused. I'm using version 2.05.555 but I think my question applies to other versions.

Basically, my question is why are cookies always scanned and offered up for deletion even if you only select, say, Empty Recycle Bin or any of the other cleaning options? It would seem logical to only process cookies when the Cookie box is checked. Is there any way (short of moving cookies to the "Cookies To Keep" list) to get CCleaner to simply ignore cookies and do the things I select? If I can get this one thing to work reliably I will gladly donate to the effort of keeping this program up-to-date.

Thanks.

Dennis

Basically, my question is why are cookies always scanned and offered up for deletion even if you only select, say, Empty Recycle Bin or any of the other cleaning options?

That doesn't happen for me.

Basically, my question is why are cookies always scanned and offered up for deletion even if you only select, say, Empty Recycle Bin or any of the other cleaning options?

Move the cookies from the left Cookies to Delete window to the right Cookies to Keep window by clicking on the one you want to keep then click on ->

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hello Dennis,

Same old questions I always ask.The data helps evaluate your problem.

CCleaner version ? 2.05.555

OS and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened? Provided in Post 1.

Do you use the Options > Advanced Save settings to INI file ?

Thanks,

:) davey

Edited by davey

Move the cookies from the left Cookies to Delete window to the right Cookies to Keep window by clicking on the one you want to keep then click on ->

So there's no other way, short of that, to have cookies ignored? I guess I still don't understand why cookies are listed for removal when I don't check and cookie options. Say I only want to delete browser temp files. Why are cookies even in the picture? Why does the program even look at them when only temp files is chekced? That's what's confusing to me.

Dennis

Hello Dennis,

Same old questions I always ask.The data helps evaluate your problem.

CCleaner version ? 2.05.555

OS and version ? WinXP with SP2

Browsers and ver.? IE 7.0.5730.11 and Firefox 2.0.0.12

Security software and ver? Norton Internet Security 2006 (why does this matter?)

Other data you think might be relevant? None that I can think of

What did you do and then what happened? Provided in Post 1. I checked the boxes to delete temporary files, clipboard, memory dumps, chkdsk file fragments and windows log files. Nothing else is checked especially cookies. Then I clicked Analyze. I get a long list of files to be deleted along with dozens of lines with "Removed Cookie" and my cookies listed. I'm just trying to figure out why the program is even looking at cookies? Oh, I also get a message saying "You must close Firefox for the Internet cache to be cleaned." I don't know why this is appearing either since I didn't ask for any Internet-related files to be removed.

Do you use the Options > Advanced Save settings to INI file ? No. Why should I have to do that to get it to ignore cookies? Shouldn't leaving the cookies box unchecked be enough to tell it to not do anything with cookies?

Thanks,

No, thank you for taking the time to help me understand.

Dennis

No, thank you for taking the time to help me understand.

Dennis

Hi again Dennis,

Thanks for your information.

The list of questions sometimes supplies information that turns out to be relevant in solving a users problem or assisting the "debuggers" in tracking down a "bug".

As you know sometimes a "bug" only occurs under certain conditions.

I have heard of various "cookie" related problems.This maybe a new one or related to a combination of selected and unselected options.

Since the INI file settings take precedence over anything else selecting this option "may" help.

If it does, we would sure like to know about it.

Your Post and your supplied information is very important to us other members also.We do appreciate your membership participation.It helps to improve and maintain the quality of such a basically needed product as CCleaner for all PC users.

Keep us informed.You may see changes related to your Post in future versions.

Best Wishes,

Hi Dennis,

After a little more thought and investigation I come to realize that you need to uncheck anything related to Firefox/Mozilla in your Applications tab when you are doing this reduced cleaning task.

Turn it back on when you want your Firefox/Mozilla files cleaned.

You might want to do this for other Applications as well.It is up to you.

Good Luck,

This helps avoid many problems also.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1504

P.S. For you and all other users out there, the better and more detailed information you can provide will help to solve your problem or a "bug" much sooner.

Thanks Dennis,your detailed information helped solve your problem.

Edited by davey

Hi Dennis,

After a little more thought and investigation I come to realize that you need to uncheck anything related to Firefox/Mozilla in your Applications tab when you are doing this reduced cleaning task.

Turn it back on when you want your Firefox/Mozilla files cleaned.

Aha! The lightbulb goes on.

So the settings on both the "Windows" and "Applications" tab are processed when the Analyze button is pushed. Aha! I was under the (mistaken) impression that each tab was processed independently. If that was in the beginners guide, I missed it.

You might want to do this for other Applications as well.It is up to you.

Good Luck,

Yes, I unchecked all of the Application boxes as all I wanted to do was a subset of what's on the "Windows" tab.

This helps avoid many problems also.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1504

P.S. For you and all other users out there, the better and more detailed information you can provide will help to solve your problem or a "bug" much sooner.

Thanks Dennis,your detailed information helped solve your problem.

No, it is I who must express the thanks. Everything seems to be working as expected now that I know the way the program processes the selections under the two tabs.

Good luck.

Dennis

Aha! The lightbulb goes on.

So the settings on both the "Windows" and "Applications" tab are processed when the Analyze button is pushed. Aha! I was under the (mistaken) impression that each tab was processed independently. If that was in the beginners guide, I missed it.

Yes, I unchecked all of the Application boxes as all I wanted to do was a subset of what's on the "Windows" tab.

No, it is I who must express the thanks. Everything seems to be working as expected now that I know the way the program processes the selections under the two tabs.

Good luck.

Dennis

Me again Dennis,

In our hectic modern lives we all tend to "speed read".

Here is the section you "sped past".

CCleaner Beginner's Guide

Cleaner

Windows

On your left you have check boxes to select what you would like to clean or not to clean.

Tip: I recommend using the default checked boxes and running Advanced maybe once a month or so.

At the bottom of Progress you have Analyze and Run Cleaner.

Clicking on Analyze will create a list of everything CCleaner is going to clean. You can right click in the big white box and save the list as a text file.

Clicking on Run Cleaner will clean everything. You can right click in the big white box and save the list as a text file. Note: you do not have to run Analyze, if you do not wish too.

Applications

On your left you have check boxes to select what you would like to clean or not to clean.

Tip: I recommend having them all checked. Unless you are a business or use the documents a lot, I would uncheck the Office box under Applications.

The Applications cleaning is tied in with the Windows cleaning, so it cleans them both at once. You do not have to click on each individual tab to clean Windows and Applications.

Notice the last sentence.

There are "holes" in the Guide but TwistedMetal is busy filling them in.

Without his work where would we be.

Thanks TwistedMetal and all the other "hard working" contributing members.

Good Luck to you Dennis,

:) davey Support your local,helpful forum.

Thank you for quoting the relevant section of the user guide.

Reading it here still gives me the impression that the Windows and Applications tabs are processed separately. There's a section in the guid for each tab and each section says "Clicking on Analyze will create a list of everything CCleaner is going to clean." and "Clicking on Run Cleaner will clean everything." There is no mention that when you click in one section you are also processing the items from the other section. Come to think of it, I may have read this and that might be where I got the idea that they were processed separately.

I guess it comes down to what the context for "everything" is. In any case, you now know the source of my confusion. Use this information as you see fit.

Thanks.

Good luck.

Dennis