Blackscreen in Vista

Zootyfruit

Hi, I ran CCleaner on my XP laptop, and it worked fine, i then ran it on my girlfriend's vista laptop, and it has resulted in the laptop blackscreening everytime i boot it. Is this a common issue? Any suggestions?

Hello Zootyfruit,

No, this is not a common issue.

EDITED

First thing to check is it actually trying to reboot.Can you hear it?

I only bring this up because some laptops get a sticky switch and won't reboot until you unstick it.

No need going through all this if it is something like that.Battery level is also important.

If you did registry "cleaning" that can sometimes cause problems that don't show until you reboot.

You must try to boot her computer in " safe mode" repeatedly clicking F8 and following the instructions.Sometimes just reboot in safe mode a couple of times gets things back in order.

If everything seems OK stop here.If not do next step if needed.

Your objective is to Reset any Registry changes you may have made using the backups that you made when "cleaning" her Registry.If you have no backups than you want to Restore the REGISTRY

using ERNDT if you already use ERUNT on her machine. Otherwise use Windows System Restore.

If you did not "clean" her registry then First thing to try would be reboot in Safe Mode and try Last Known Good Configuration.Sometimes just reboot in safe mode a couple of times gets things back in order.

Second thing to try is ERDNT if you already have it.If you don't know the name go to step 3.

Step #3 to try as last resort System Restore.You may have to try older and older Restore Points.

Doing a System Restore doesn't always work.System Restore is one thing "SYSTEM REPAIR" is completely different.I only mention this because some users get them confused.

DO NOT ATTEMPT OR DO A SYSTEM REPAIR.THIS IS A DRASTIC STEP AND SHOULD ONLY BE DONE WITH VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE ASSISTANCE.

Fill us in.

:) davey

Edited by davey