Watch out for Computer Repair Fraud

Humpty

Some old PC's in this story but probably still relevant in todays world.

And if there's a minimum charge the I suppose that's fair enough.

Have you ever went into one of those electronics chain stores to get your computer fixed? Did you trust them to diagnose and fix the repair?

Some computer repair shops, included those associated with the big chains, aren't to be trusted.

A Southern California television station reported that there's lots of fraud when it comes to computer repair.

To check for fraud by computer repair shops, they had the computers checked by and expert to make sure that they were running perfectly fine. Then they disconnected the IDE, or ribbon cable that connects the hard drive to the motherboard, which shuts down brains to computer. All that was needed to repair the computer was to reattach the ribbon cable to the hard drive. With a visual inspection every repair person should have been able to see it.

Here's what happened at the stores--

Article

• Moderators

I wouldn't mind a share of the total sum of cash people have saved thanks to the advice available on here. And I include myself in that.

In fact I dare say I'd have binned this thing by now with the number of even small problems that have raised their ugly heads. These small problems would be big problems if you were sitting at home on your lonesome, with nobody to turn to but a repair shop.

My heart really does go out to the thousands of people who have no idea that forums like this exist. And of course Piriform is one of the best places anyone could stumble across.