Question about start-up feature

ohboy

Hello everyone,

Just installed CCleaner and I feel it is a good product to have.Nice job they did.

A couple of questions I have is about the start-up feature.

1) Is this feature pertaining to what is running during start-up?

2)I'm sure this is not a good thing and I was wondering if there are known programs ,or such that should not be removed? I have alot running and would like to get rid of them but I'm afraid to.

I tried copy and pasting for all to see but I'm having a hard time doing that also. :lol:

I hope you can help,Thank you ,ohboy

Hello ohboy,

Welcome to the forum.

The Startup feature shows a list of programs that will automatically start every time you re-boot your system.The featue allows you to remove any you do not want.

You are correct in your questioning which ones to keep.

Some are put there by some software you downloaded and then decided not to use.

Those that are left behind sometimes cause problems and slow down the start-up process.

Others, you may try to delete but the imbedded software puts them back.

Many software and hardware companies will put these in to make their product "start-up"

faster in your view than some competitors product.

If you are satisfied with the speed of your statup then don't worry about them.But,if not or you don't have enough RAM to handle all these programs then you need to do some research.

You can strart at this link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

You will need the program name to search in their database (i.e. systray.exe ).

Then you can read and decide what to do.

There are other sites available.

You can Google on any program name and find them.Just stay away from the sites that make it sound like you have a serious problem or "virus" or whatever.

The Piriform forums are a safe place to get advice.IF SOFTWARE RELATED THEN SOFTWARE FORUM.

HARDWARE FORUM ETC.

Good Luck,

:) davey

Hello ohboy,

Welcome to the forum.

The Startup feature shows a list of programs that will automatically start every time you re-boot your system.The featue allows you to remove any you do not want.

You are correct in your questioning which ones to keep.

Some are put there by some software you downloaded and then decided not to use.

Those that are left behind sometimes cause problems and slow down the start-up process.

Others, you may try to delete but the imbedded software puts them back.

Many software and hardware companies will put these in to make their product "start-up"

faster in your view than some competitors product.

If you are satisfied with the speed of your statup then don't worry about them.But,if not or you don't have enough RAM to handle all these programs then you need to do some research.

You can strart at this link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

You will need the program name to search in their database (i.e. systray.exe ).

Then you can read and decide what to do.

There are other sites available.

You can Google on any program name and find them.Just stay away from the sites that make it sound like you have a serious problem or "virus" or whatever.

The Piriform forums are a safe place to get advice.IF SOFTWARE RELATED THEN SOFTWARE FORUM.

HARDWARE FORUM ETC.

Good Luck,

Thanks alot,Davey.

I will give it a go and see what i find through that link.

I'm not that good with PC's so you guys(and gals) will be hearing from me here and there.

Bare with me through my trying times. :lol: ohboy

Hello again ohboy,

This link can also make it a lot easier to check things out.

I bookmaked it as I use it every now and then.

Just click on HELP on right side of window.They will offer a free download of ad blocker software but I wouldn't complicate things with downloading software just yet. You can reply NO,

Then you will be asked to allow Active-x click on yellow bar to allow it.

Then you will be asked to Run a program.It is safe to do so.

The report you get will show you alot of info about whats running on your computer.

You can expand for more detail.Then you can Print it if you would like.

Then click on X on browser window to get out of there. It is a safe site but it seems they don't want to let you go to easily.

Try this soon it will save you some work and worry.

I am sure others will also reply to your Post.You can trust the Moderators and Power members not to steer you wrong.Avoid links offered on the net for this kind of service without checking it out on safe forums like this one.

P.S. CORRECTED LINK IS AS FOLLOWS

http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/

Edited by davey