Portable

Jacobm001

Hello to all,

I've been using all three piriform products for a while and I know that CCleaner is portable by the options you select, but can Recuva and Defraggler be made portable? By portable I mean they leave nothing at all on the host computer. Thanks for any help you can give.

When you run any portable application, Windows will create a registry value in HKCU\Software\Microsoft|\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache showing the path to the executable.

That key doesn't even appear in my registry.

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!

~Otto

How to use CCleaner on a Flash Drive (pre v2.0)

That key doesn't even appear in my registry.

Which version of Windows are you running? The key is in WinXP, I think it was first introduced in Win2000 ... no idea if it's in Vista.

The key contains string values showing the paths for what appears to be every installed or portable program I've ever run.

Running XP w/ all updates as of Monday, no malware or problems, so it looks like I must have a program somewhere that deletes it regularly.

Only thing is, CCleaner is the only cleaner I use more than once a month.

Edit: I just checked again and it's there.

TM's WinApp2 deletes the MUICache key. That must be why it appears and disappears.

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!

~Otto

How to use CCleaner on a Flash Drive (pre v2.0)