Outlook email address cache

spl518

I searched the forum for other threads on "Outlook" but couldn't find a answer to my question. I'm running CCleaner 1.41.544 on WinXP Pro/SP2. After running CCleaner I noticed that my Outlook is no longer finding email addresses as I type them -- that's a bummer because I communicate with lot's of the same people at my work and this feature saves typing and having to remember email addresses. It appears that CCleaner removed the email address cache from Outlook so I have the following questions:

1. Is there a way to prevent this from happening in future clean-up's? -- it's unclear what option I would turn-off in order to disable this behavior.

2. Is there any way to recover what I have lost? Note, I do have a registry backup but don't know if restoring that will help.

Thanks much,

Scott

hello :)

in CCleaner, under 'Applications' tab, there should be an entry called Office 2003 / Office 2007

that's the entry that deletes your outlook cache. unticking that should stop CCleaner from cleaning it.

although, unticking that option will also stop CCleaner from cleaning other apps.. because that option also cleans out caches for Excel, Word, PowerPoint, FrontPage, and Visio, along with OutLook

if you use any of those programs, and still want to clean those, but not OutLook..

what you can do is, open the winapp.ini file which is located in your CCleaner directory, and manually edit it.

just find the OutLook entries, and delete those lines, then save the file. this will stop CCleaner from cleaning out the OutLook files.

but if you don't use any of those programs (excel, word, ect) simply unticking that option should be fine !

for recovering; all the OutLook cache files are saved into the registry. so if you have a registry backup, from BEFORE you ran CCleaner, then that backup should work.

... my Outlook is no longer finding email addresses as I type them ...

If you mean the e-mail address autocomplete drop-down list, that is stored in the file C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.NK2

CCleaner does not clean that file unless you are using Custom Files or a winapp2.ini.