recover on SD avi-file

jansen

when recovering an Avi-file:(on a vista pc) just short files are revoverd correctly and can be played again. A file longer than approx. 30 seconds is fully recovered but the media player cannot play it any more. How can?

Thanks for advise

when recovering an Avi-file:(on a vista pc) just short files are revoverd correctly and can be played again. A file longer than approx. 30 seconds is fully recovered but the media player cannot play it any more. How can?

Thanks for advise

you might try an earlier version of recuva, as earlier versions seem to work better in many ways for some people than the newer versions

earlier versions can be found here:

http://filehippo.com/download_recuva/

http://www.filevolution.com/recuva/

• 3 weeks later...
you might try an earlier version of recuva, as earlier versions seem to work better in many ways for some people than the newer versions

earlier versions can be found here:

http://filehippo.com/download_recuva/

http://www.filevolution.com/recuva/

Hi MrRon

I would have responded in PM, but PM doesn't support file (jpg) upload, which tells the story more clearly:

1.06 is faster (than my prefered 1.01) and less resource intensive, but was inaccurate in its file status assessment (excellent vs poor/overwritten), the date of the file and in the number of files that 1.06 determined it recovered (it determined 2 - but only recovered 1):

the two recovered files both played perfectly, and were identical in MD5 and SHA-1 hashes (as well as identical in a complete binary comparison)

post-15122-1190682944_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1190682966_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1190682990_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1190683017_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1190683054_thumb.jpg

but at least 1.06 recovered the file! :)

post-15122-1190682944_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1190682966_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1190682990_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1190683017_thumb.jpg

post-15122-1190683054_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

congrats!

briefly tested 1.06.132 against the old standby favorite 1.01.069

both found the same number of files

and as before, while the 1.06 listed some as poorly recoverable, 1.01 said they were excellent-

but THIS time, instead of 1.01 being right, 1.06 was right - the mpg file wouldn't play from either recovery

i would have posted the jpgs results i made - but at 140kb each, apparently they exceeded some new and very smaller forum limit of 130.61kb :(

anyway, the new recuva is now working better than v1.01, so i am graduating to v1.06 for all my first attempts (though i'll prob still try 1.01 as well for awhile for anything 1.06 doesn't recover)

muchas gracias!

s

problems again - unfortunately back to square 1 (aka v1.01)

so as before, i wanted to undelete some mpg files - i fired up 1.06 and it found one of them and said excellent - i hit recover and iin a few quick seconds, it reported back the old (and obviously erroneous) message: "0 files recovered in .00023 secs or some such (no more jpg pic uploads due to new very small upload file size limit) - and as before, no error log generated (it thought it was successful and apparently doesn't know that 0 files recovered is a failure)

i then fired up trusty v1.01 and in about 10 minutes it churned and found and also successfully recovered my file

cool!

the second problem is tougher as no version fixes it

i deleted 5 large (~1GB) mpg files of a similar name (same first ~10 characters) and immediately (as in seconds later) went in to recuva them - but only 2 of the five were able to be found - after trying every version of recuva (1.01 through 1.06) - again, this was seconds with NO other computer activity in between - this has happened several times before that i am aware of

btw, all of these recuvas have been attempted on an ntfs formatted external usb drive - all other computer specs same as my first problem report

hope these details can eventually help to make recuva even better - thanks for the great prog and great effort - i am going to test and see if the "restoration" prog and maybe also some of the other available recovery progs do any better with these files (certainly none do it with as much style, class or ease)