CCleaner on Windows XP64 Pro (SP1 or SP2)

Mike Lee

Hi,

I have been using CCleaner on my XP32 system for some months now, everything was just fine for me.

My system is know XP64 Pro SP2, and it seems that CCleaner doesn't report the correct items in the Tools section, for uninstallation items AND the start items.

This is true for CCleaner 1.41 and Beta 2. This was true before I upgrade with XP64 SP2.

AFAIK, there is two distincts branchs of registry in Win XP64, they are complementary, not exclusive. This is what I got for the run key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

CCleaner does only report the keys of the Wow6432Node... And of course, but this is normal, the HKEY_CURRENT_USER run key, plus Startup Common, plus Startup User.

Same problem for the Uninstall key: All installed programms aren't reported.

Thanx for reply.

Regards.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Still no answer... Bad luck for a real matter... Version 2.01.507 is released, still doesn't handle correctly registry keys for the "tools menu"...

There are two distincts branchs of registry in Win XP64, to handle 32bits AND 64bits programs, which don't write their keys at the same trees. These branchs are complementary, not exclusive.

If you want to reveal the inside of the RUN and UNINSTALL keys for the whole system, you'll have to read THOSE two following trees, NOT JUST ONE OF THEM... Because actually, not ALL programs installed are listed by CCleaner, not ALL programs which run at windows start are showed.

Open Regedit on Windows XP64 (SP1 or SP2), look at the following keys and you'll understand.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]

AFAIK, Windows XP64 is not dead, despite the release of Vista 64 bits. And I'm pretty sure that you'll have the same matter on Windows 2003 server 64bits releases. If you claim that CCleaner is compatible with ALL versions of Windows, you have a point to check here.

Regards.