Virus Scans

Tom AZ

This is probably a rather stupid question, but just wondering what the general consensus is as to how often a virus scan should be performed . . . intra-day, daily, weekly, etc.? I'm sure there are many variables that could affect the response to this question, but I'm still curious.

I don't think, that you need to scan very often, if you got reliable up-to-date Antivirus real-time protection. I trust my Avast real-time and scan sometimes with couple of different online-scanners, like McAfee and E-Trust. It's good to use i.e. those online-scanners to see, if your real-time protection is let something through.

It's needless to scan every day or even every week or month. It's just too paranoid and tells that you don't trust your system (to it be safe).

• Moderators

I have AVG scheduled to run a scan once a week on my desktops. They are on 24/7 so I have AVG scan at like 3AM.

You could do it daily and see no real side effects but its probably over kill. Just do it as you feel is needed.

• Moderators
Why so often?

Because I want to and it doesn't really matter. The computers are on all the time so if they run a virus scan while I'm sleeping then it doesn't really affect anything. I haven't had a virus in a very long time so nothing is ever found but I guess its good to know for sure.

Do you use real-time protection?

Just AVG free.

Do you scan with other AV-apps or online-scanners?

No.

Depends as to what sort of use the computer is put to, whether it is networked, and how many other users there are. Any of those factors would suggest a slightly elevated risk, therefore more frequent scanning is indicated. (At my workplace, where there are more than a hundred computers networked, there is a scan going on pretty much constantly.) (which is a total pain. It's slow enough anyway.)

As far as I can work out, the main reason for scanning is to catch something that may not have been caught by the on access protection, because the signature for it wasn't added at the time it slipped in. If your AV is strong on heuristics, maybe less frequent scanning is indicated. If any of the users are teenagers, or near-teenaged boys, more frequent scanning is indicated.

I have none of those risk factors, use Avast! home, and used to scan weekly, or any time I had reason to be suspicious (strange behaviour, browser settings changed, redirects, etc.)

Spyware and trojans are, I think, a more likely threat than viruses, I alternate the virus scan with an antimalware scan using Superantispyware, SpywareTerminator, AVG AS, and Asquared (not all at once.)

Never found anything beyond an occasional FP or a cookie. Seen the odd thing blocked, though, when passing through a dodgy neighborhood.

Now scan monthly or thereabouts.