Vista PC ratings

Humpty

New PC and Vista Ultimate only a week old and it's giving me a bit of a hard time learning the ins and outs.

Wondering if any other Vista users would like to compare PC score ratings.

1. Click the Start Button.

2. Select Control Panel.

3. Select System and Maintenance.

4. Select Performance Information and Tools.

5. Select Update my score. If you are performing this on a laptop, make sure that it is plugged in. Vista will not perform this on battery power.

6. When the UAC prompt appears, click Continue.

7. Vista will perform an evaluation of your hardware. This will take several minutes to complete.

Once the testing has completed, your new performance score and subscore will be displayed.

From the help file:

The base scores currently range from 1 to 5.9. The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology. As hardware speed and performance improves, higher base scores will be introduced. However, the standards for each level of the index stay the same. For example, a computer scored as a 2.8 will remain a 2.8 unless you decide to upgrade the computer's hardware.

And:

A computer with a base score of 4 or 5 is able to run all new features of Windows Vista with full functionality, and it is able to support high-end, graphics-intensive experiences, such as multiplayer and 3‑D gaming and recording and playback of HDTV content. Computers with a base score of 5 were the highest performing computers available when Windows Vista was released.

I can bearly scrape a 3.0 :lol:

th_90791_Image2_122_1135lo.jpg

Mind you for a ?500 PC I didn't really expect anything special.

I'm not decrying your PC, but I sometimes think Vista is all about style and not so much substance. If you want all the 3D graphics and addons you'll have to pay top dollar, something which in my eyes doesn't really represent value for money.

Of course if you use your top of the range graphics card for something other than windows features then its a different story..

Having said all that, if I had the money I would still opt for the top end machine. :lol:

Here's my old P4 3ghz 1gig ddr.

The Raedon 9200 128 meg graphics card just ain't up to scratch.

Consiidering Vista is installed on an old 20 meg 5400rpm drive it's running quite ok.