Splitting files?

xenonsin

I know there is an application used to compress a file and then by an option could be able to split the file into 2? into 2 seperate files in which you can extract them to one folder so it can become the whole file again?

lol.. sry for my crappy explanation... but i need to know the app that has that feature.

thanks?

Admiral Ross
I know there is an application used to compress a file and then by an option could be able to split the file into 2? into 2 seperate files in which you can extract them to one folder so it can become the whole file again?

lol.. sry for my crappy explanation... but i need to know the app that has that feature.

thanks?

No problem. Right from memory Winrar can span volumns. You can probably tell it how large to make the files before it splits them.

Hope this helps,

thanks for the fast reply. but i also have another question

Is Winrar the only application which has that feature?

I need to be sure if there are other available apps so I can choose which is best to download.

Admiral Ross
thanks for the fast reply. but i also have another question

Is Winrar the only application which has that feature?

I need to be sure if there are other available apps so I can choose which is best to download.

That's the thing the internet is a very big place and tons of stuff is out there. I use what works Winrar is what I've used for years.

• Moderators

Just about any zip program can split files such as WinZip (commercial software), WinZip Self Extractor (really easy to use but commercial software), WinRAR (really easy to use but commercial software), etc. If you need a freeware one look into freeware zip/unzip programs like TugZip, 7-zip, etc, albeit I don't know off hand if TugZip and 7-Zip have an archive split funtionality.

• Moderators

Why would you want to do this? Not trying to be rude or anything but I guess I don't get the point. I use zip genius and it can probably do it:

http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/index.php

I love zip genius, it works perfectly through the windows shell. Meaning I never have to actually open the program to do anything(just right click and choose what I want to do) I know a few others can do this as well but none were as good as zip genius.

• Moderators

WinRAR is great and it's free, too.

I thought it was shareware? I got a free license when they were giving them away a few months ago but I never even used it. :lol:

• Moderators

I use zip genius and it can probably do it:

http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/index.php

Zip Genius may be nice however I guess I'll never know because their download server is either broken or sets a time limit for downloading the file. I can never get the download to go through and I've literally tried to download the program every now and then for the past year, and even my trusty download manager Download Mage which can download just about anything from crappy servers can't get the full setup file.

My file archiver of choice is 7-Zip. :)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Ok I was just looking for updates to all my programs and I remembered this. Anyway zip genius can do this with an add on here:

http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/?page_id=16

And now I even get why you may want to do this:

Cutter can split large files into smaller parts so you will be able to transfer them by several ways, like storing them on removable media, or sending those parts as attachments to e-mail messages.

Makes sense to me. :D

------------------------------------

On another note I found out that zip genius will integrate with certain AVs. Sadly etrust wasn't one of them but I decided to try it anyway by installing the free edition of antivir(I already had the installer) and it works pretty well. Its a nice feature since a lot of people don't always check their files before unzipping.

(Other programs might do this as well but I'm not a heavy archive program user. I use it to unzip stuff and send the occasional email attachment)

List of AVs it will work with:

http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/?page_id=25

• Moderators

Sadly etrust wasn't one of them

Try the EZ Antivirus command line scanner by opening a command prompt and typing this in to get the parameter you wish to use for auto scanning files:

"%ProgramFiles%\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVCmd.exe" /?

This is what I use on my backups directory to auto scan all files:

"%ProgramFiles%\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVCmd.exe" "D:\My Backups" /c /q

• Moderators

Alright I just reinstalled etrust so that I could test and see if it works.(and it did). All you should have to put in the box is:

"C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVCmd.exe"

Now when I click a zip file the etrust command line scanner opens and scans the file and then zip genius will ask if anthing was detected. If you click no the file will open of you click yes zip genius will not open the file. This is a great feature. :D

• Moderators

Now when I click a zip file the etrust command line scanner opens and scans the file and then zip genius will ask if anthing was detected. If you click no the file will open of you click yes zip genius will not open the file. This is a great feature. :D

Yeah but most modern unzip programs have the functionality, it's just that EZAV's command line scanner isn't one bit confusing at all, really simple and easy actually which is why I use it to scan my backups automatically.

Reinstalled EZAV? Huh what, you weren't using it?

• Moderators

Yeah but most modern unzip programs have the functionality, it's just that EZAV's command line scanner isn't one bit confusing at all, really simple and easy actually which is why I use it to scan my backups automatically.

Reinstalled EZAV? Huh what, you weren't using it?

On another note I found out that zip genius will integrate with certain AVs. Sadly etrust wasn't one of them but I decided to try it anyway by installing the free edition of antivir(I already had the installer) and it works pretty well. Its a nice feature since a lot of people don't always check their files before unzipping.

(Other programs might do this as well but I'm not a heavy archive program user. I use it to unzip stuff and send the occasional email attachment)

List of AVs it will work with:

http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/?page_id=25

:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.