AVG Free destroys itself!

Andavari

• Moderators

After the updater of AVG Free installed AVG Free Edition 7.1.407 just the other day I noticed that the updater avginet.exe started to mess with the main AVG executable AVGW.exe. First it had named AVGW.exe to AVGW.exe.DEL, so I renamed it back to it's original name and rebooted thinking that would fix it but no go there. As soon as I ran the updater again to check for a definition update avginet.exe really got nasty and instead just deleted AVGW.exe versus renaming it.

Although I don't know if this occurs on other systems I wanted to warn AVG Free users, so if anyone else is wondering why their AVG Free stops working and won't load the reason why may be because of avginet.exe.

Had it not been for CCleaner's Issues scanner which detected bad shortcuts to AVGW.exe and some other registry issues related to it I wouldn't have known that AVG destroyed itself.

I'm glad it was only used as a secondary scanner on my system and wasn't the main antivirus application, needless to say I won't be using AVG Free again, and now my secondary scanner is ClamWin Free Antivirus which so far hasn't destroyed itself.

• Moderators

My main scanner is eTrust EZ Antivirus, and for obvious reasons I don't get any nasties with it installed.

My main scanner is eTrust EZ Antivirus, and for obvious reasons I don't get any nasties with it installed.

My desktop Icon disappeared also after the update to the newer version so I just uninstalled it cleaned everything out and downloaded the new version from scratch and it seem to be working fine. Im glad to see Avast was better than Norton 2006 I desided to not reup my subscription and just use Avast as my main full functional scanner and the ashQuick.exe in Avast as my download manager scanner and AGV as my secondary scanner with the mail scanner disabled in AGV for now. Seem to be working fine so far but I try to practice as much safe computing as possible.

What the hell is going on here. :blink:

Using the the latest Kaspersky AV here and the sys tray icon is not showing at startup.I have to manually kick it in.

Also after the last definitions update a warning is coming up that the blacklist is corrupted.

Went over to Kav forums and many users are having the same prob and have been advised to wait.

Maybe AV some vendors have been hit with some sort of zero day attack as my pc seems fine apart for the prob with my av.

• Moderators

Maybe AV some vendors have been hit with some sort of zero day attack as my pc seems fine apart for the prob with my av.

I dunno, but allot of people may have a nice fuzzy "I feel safe feeling" with AV installed but many of them are easy to defeat by some crafty malware or even some simple registry key removal. But it's worse in my opinion when they are so bloated/crappy/buggy that they kill themselves off.

However with AVG I was able to confirm the updater causing all the problems I experienced three times in a row on my system, and I've scanned with all my anti-malware software today and nothing was found so my system isn't infected. That wasn't the first time AVG had self destructed on me this year because just a few months ago after an update it was corrupted and had a horde of missing files which sort of sounds similar. I won't be using AVG for a very long time if ever at all again due to the continuing problems it has, and since I've completely lost all trust in it, and now I'm glad when I was tempted to get either AVG Professional or AVG plus Firewall that I didn't buy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.