Driver update removes my HP Envy Laptop speakers and microphone

damurrs

Hello,

I run CCleaner monthly on my laptop and desktop.  I've not had an issue using the driver update function until now. The latest set of driver updates run to completion but removes my laptop speaker and microphone drivers. My laptop indicates there is no hardware. Luckily I created a restore point before performing the update and was able to restore back so speaker and microphone work as before. But I am certainly not going to try this again!

Attached is a screen shot showing the list of drivers CCleaner says needs updating on my laptop. Just to add to this, HP indicates there are no driver updates when using HP Support Assistant. Screenshot2024-09-01151426.thumb.png.dcda60a6b859a05090a12be6208814cd.pngI ran CCleaner on my HP Pavilion Desktop with no issue.

Please Help. 

Art

• Moderators

Just because a Driver is 'newer' than the one that you have does not necessarily mean that it is suitable for your machine.

Many driver updates are to suit new hardware, which your machine doesn't have of course (unless you have physically replaced it), and the driver changes that have been made to suit that new hardware may not work on the older hardware that you do have.

HP Support Assistant is not showing you the update because it 'knows' that it is not suitable for the hardware currently in your machine.

You now know that particular driver is not suitable for your hardware so in Driver Updater click on 'Details' for it and then click either 'Skip this version' or to always keep the one you have now click  'Pause Updates' for it.
eg,
image.png

(Or just stop using any Driver Updaters, unless you actually have a driver problem when they can be useful, generally though they only check for 'newer' not 'suitable' and so any one of them could offer you an unsuitabe update).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Keep getting logged out of websites? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/67601-saved-passwords/#comment-349999

Wondering about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I seem to have a similar issue on my new HP Victus. I let ccleaner update the realtek audio driver, and now the built in sound (speakers and microphone) are gone. When I try to revert it fails with a useless "can't do it" message. I've tried uninstalling the device, finding it in the "hidden" list in device manager. Now I cannot seem to get it back by scanning, running driver installers from HP, or windows updates. 

Bottom line- the driver update does not check your PC hardware for updates. 

I suspected that but thanks for the confirmation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.