Files found total increases exponentially on each scan

flip1943

I am trying to recover files on a 'perfect' 1 Tb HDD (one of two from a RAID mirror which became unreadable when the RAID controller failed, not the disks).

Because I didn't have a large enough disk on hand to recover to (and because the computer rebooted during a scan) I have actually deep-scanned the disk four times - each scan taking 11 hours. Each scan reports an even greater number of files (with an increasingly large number of 'unrecoverables'). I guess this is because the scans are becoming 'deeper' and more bits of old overwritten files are being found.

I really don't want these - just the 'live' files. I've just bought a 4Tb HDD to recover to but I fear that the overnight scan which with 2 hours to run reports finding over 300,000 files will still mean I can't recover.

So may I ask these questions?

1  My guess is that the 70,000 files reported early in the scan are those I need. Can I stop the scan at that point and just recover those reported at that point?

2 Alternatively if I scan the mirror disk will the scan count drop back?

3 Can I edit out the unrecoverables from the 300,000 without doing each line of the complete scan list individually?

Help would be much appreciated.

Philip

In case it matters I should add that I'm using the free version on Windows 7 64-bit.