CCleaner finds some, but not all Firefox entries in custom profiles

anna24

I read several articles & posts on CCleaner & getting it to find / clean data from custom profile locations.  Would / should work for any app.

1st, on their own (w/o editing the CCL ini file), several CCL versions find my Firefox profile - custom location on F:\.  I see the same described behavior in CCleaner 4.16 - .17 / 5.0.

They also detect Fx "user created" profiles in the default path:  C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<custom profile name>.  Meaning, profiles I created & named, in the default profile path / folder (using firefox profile mgr).

But, CCL only finds some Fx files - even though other files exist in these profiles that would normally be cleaned.

It finds for instance,

F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\sessionstore.js

and C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.test-profile\sessionstore.js

So it detects the custom profiles in both locations, except those 2 files don't exist in either profile.

CCleaner detects F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\OfflineCache\index.sqlite,

but doesn't find / show the places.sqlite in the same profile, which definitely contains browsing history (& it exists).

Following some topic instructions (claimed to be successful), I edited CCleaner.ini, adding:

CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox

CCL still doesn't find obvious files like cookies or places.sqlite - before or after editing the ini file.

The profile listed above (t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14) is in path:  F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\.

Note:  in the F:\ custom location, there isn't a "Profiles" sub-folder.  Just the path / profile name, shown in previous line.

Obviously, CCL "sees" the custom profiles & finds a few files, but not all files that it normally would clean.  Files that do exist & do contain data.

Any suggestions?

i guess, ff stored the profile location when you move it to F:\

for the ini entry, can you try CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\

But, CCL only finds some Fx files - even though other files exist in these profiles that would normally be cleaned.

It finds for instance,

F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\sessionstore.js

and C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.test-profile\sessionstore.js

So it detects the custom profiles in both locations, except those 2 files don't exist in either profile.

did you use Analyze or Run Cleaner?

Thanks dvdbane,

i guess, ff stored the profile location when you move it to F:\

The "t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14" profile wasn't created in the Firefox (Windows) default location for profiles, then moved to F:\ - if that's what you were asking / guessing.

It was created new - in the F:\ path, using Mozilla Profile Manager.  Same with custom profiles (user created / named) in the default profile path.

One of the biggest issues is that CCL detects the custom profiles*, and some files in them (that actually should be cleaned), but doesn't detect other (existing) commonly cleaned files in the same profiles.   

* It detects "custom," manually created profiles in both the default path & on F:\ partition.

In both custom profiles that CCL detected & showed a couple of files to be cleaned (in both paths - "C:\users/..." and "F:\..."),  I verified at least some files (that CCL didn't detect) actually contained recent browsing / history data that would normally be cleaned by any internet browser cleaner.

It seems the CCL instructions of which files to look for, once it detects a custom profile, aren't complete?  Is this just a bug or...?

for the ini entry, can you try CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\

Thanks - already tried it - with & w/o the specific profile names and with or w/o the trailing backward slash ('\').  Either way, it detected some - but not many - of existing files that should be cleaned.

Example "analysis" results below, even for the "Default User" profile (in default path), it detects "formhistory.sqlite" - for instance (that file contains no history data), but doesn't show files in the same default profile, like cookies or places.sqlite - or several others normally detected by cleaners.  Those undetected files do exist in the profiles shown below.  (Note:  I replaced the user name w/ "<name>").

C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\28m01ir0.test-7-12-14\OfflineCache\index.sqlite    256 KB
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\28m01ir0.test-7-12-14\formhistory.sqlite    192 KB
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\28m01ir0.test-7-12-14\sessionstore-backups\previous.js    2 KB
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\28m01ir0.test-7-12-14\sessionstore-backups\upgrade.js-20141106120505    2 KB
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\28m01ir0.test-7-12-14\sessionstore.js    3 KB
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6oa0cy38.Default User\formhistory.sqlite    192 KB
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\JonDoFox\formhistory.sqlite    192 KB
F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\nj4h3qm4.FX-shrd-9-27-13\formhistory.sqlite    192 KB
F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\OfflineCache\index.sqlite    256 KB
F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\formhistory.sqlite    192 KB
F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\sessionstore-backups\previous.js    1 KB
F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\sessionstore-backups\recovery.bak    13 KB
F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox\t681iswd.FX-shrd-5-3-14\sessionstore-backups\recovery.js    13 KB
F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Thunderbird\Profiles\lcmobcc2.TB-shrd-9-12-14\session.json    1 KB

Man, why didn't I think of closing Firefox (oh... I did). :D

I'm reasonably certain this is a bug - at least in Vista.

I'm not sure if any Piriform employees monitor forums for bug reports? 

Is there an "official" bug reporting site?  Under "Where do I send bug reports" FAQ, it only mentions posting in forums or sending email to:  http://support.piriform.com/anonymous_requests/new.

In several CCL portable for Windows versions, even w/ Firefox (& Tbird) closed, they still don't find places or cookies.sqlite (among others that it should).

I've tested CCL 4.16, 4.17, 5.0.

If under Options> Include Items, I manually add paths to a profile & (for instance) places.sqlite, cookies.sqlite - it correctly finds them.  Then in the analysis summary, they're show w/ an ! exclamation icon (not Firefox) - which is OK.

But, by itself, CCL is finding other individual files in those same profiles.  Some found in the "xxxxxxxx.Default User" & another user-created profile - both in the default profile path for Windows (Vista).

On its own, it finds some files in custom profiles in custom locations - but not places.sqlite, cookies.sqlite (for instance).

Nor does adding the latest downloaded Winapp2.ini file  change whether places.sqlite, cookies.sqlite are found - as well as certain others.

I put Winapp2.ini in same CCL (portable) root programs folder - where ccleaner.ini is placed by default.

this is the correct place to post bug although i'm not the right person to respond to bug reporting :P
i'm just user just like you so i might don't have the same knowledge as the dev
according to forum mod, the dev does read post but rarely respond
they respond by releasing new version, that how they work

this is beyond me so you're gonna need to wait others to come here
afaik and after a bit of test :P , even ff itself doesn't remove places.sqlite and cookies.sqlite, its just empty the files

i don't think this is a bug but can become a suggestion for ccleaner to add the cleaning rule

for cookies.sqlite, they might not add it because it will make ccleaner cookies exception rule useless

i might be wrong

for my installed and portable ff profile

sessionstore.js, formhistory.sqlite and \OfflineCache\index.sqlite detected correctly without winapp2.ini

i didn't test creating another profile using ff profile manager so you need to wait others who use ff profile manager