Recovered Windows word documents are unreadable

bejay60

Can anyone help.  After suffering a major problem with my computer I found that I had not only lost the files on my computer but my backups were corrupted as well.  I was advised to download Recuva & run it as instructed.  The outcome was that I was able to succesfully recover a great majority of my files intact, photos etc.,  but most of the word files are unreadable.  

Can anyone advise me on this?

Bejay60

Oh my :( I'm hoping to find answers from this forum and I'm having the same problem as yours. I hope someone replies to help you in this problem. Were you able to find another solution? 

I had an external hard drive that wad 3 partitions. Only one partition got corrupted (or cannot be read by my laptop). I read from the internet about recuva and gave it a try. It was successful finding all my files though it cannot open or preview even a simple photo file with .jpg format.  huhu

I also don't know what to do.

Hello, I am experiencing the same problem and this is with Microsoft Excel file. The file shows recovered but is unreadable. I would not mind buying the software but if my tests fail, then I am very skeptical. I am trying another product out today as this is the second failed attempt on files. A friend of mine handed me his camera card to see if I could recover some very important videos, none of them were recovered. it showed that they were but when he tried to play them on his apple mac, then they did not succeed. I would love to know what the authors of the software suggest?

Hi

It looks like this is a common issue.

I lost all my photos and docs a few weeks ago and stupidly carried on writing to my hdd. After searching my usb drive recuva found them all and said it would recover them. Which it did.

Looking at the filenames and file sizes everything is as expected but the files won't open. They appear to be corrupt.

Same goes for .DOC and .XLS files.

Surely someone out there has an answer?

• 3 years later...

I'm having the same problem with document files.  My documents (MsWord) show recovered, the file names are intact, but when I attempt to open them word keeps asking me to select the encoding that makes the file readable.  Regardless of what I select, the files are unreadable.  Any kind of fix for this yet?

• Moderators

no need to double post @ZM1986, one entry is all it needs to be seen. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.