Blank/Empty Blue displayed squares

Okay: Today running Defrag V2.09.391 on an XP Pro SP3 latest updates

Drive is a 80 GB NTFS format SATA.

I noticed after analyzing the drive, I had about 40 light blue squares displayed. I move the cursor on to the square and it said it was empty. A few of the squares did have something, but most were empty.

I ran defrag, then shut down defraggler, reopened it, and analyzed. The light blue boxes were there.

So I tried something, ran CCleaner and wiped the free space. An ran defraggler.... same thing.

Ran the option - check drive for errors - no problems

Well does some one know whats happening.

• Moderators

Hi Range Rider.

From the Defraggler docs ...

If a square is heavily fragmented, it will be dark red; if it's lightly fragmented, then it will be light red. Similarly, if an unfragmented square is mostly full of data, it will be dark blue. If an unfragmented square is mostly empty, it will be paler blue.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/defraggler/using-defraggler/understanding-the-drive-map

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

As it says on the drive map in Recuva, these are blocks of "Low Occupancy", and the nearest explanation I can find for that, and it has been asked about many times, is this post by Romanov, a Piriform "bug fixer" ...

most of the empty blue blocks are occupied by internal NTFS metafiles. Defraggler cannot do anything useful with them, so they are excluded from the analysis data as their names are very confusing for the non-technical users.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=31313&view=findpost&p=187829