CCleaner Drive Wipe

malrat

Hi. Win7 wouldn't let me format a second drive due to there being a bootable partition (?). I used drive wipe but now Win7 fails to format it. Have tried from Windows Explorer and also Disk Management. Disk Management shows the drive as being full and is RAW data. In disk management the format option is greyed out. How can I format the drive so I can use it? Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi malrat, and welcome to the forum.

In Disk Management do you have the option to "Delete Partition" or "Delete Volume". I have XP so I'm not sure as to the options presented by Win7.

If so, do that, and then create a new partition, which you will need to do to format the drive.

EDIT: An afterthought. If you can't get anything happening with Disk Management, have a look at "MiniTools Partition Wizard 7.1 Home Edition" (free).

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

It may give you a better visual depiction of whatever may be left on that drive, such as the remnants of the bootable partition you mention above.

If the MBR is goosed, it would be one cause of the disk coming up as "Raw", and you need to delete everything off there to leave unallocated space, and then create a new partition.