CCleaner causes a problem with Google Chrome

Hi Everyone,

I'm using CCleaner V3.16.1666 (64 bit), I'm using Windows 7 X64 and Google Chrome version 18.0.1025.108. Every time I run CCleaner then open my Google Chrome browser I receive a message that something is trying to take over my search on my browser, see this screenshot for the message http://screencast.com/t/hHCc8Xxvy but it is a false indication. CCleaner seems to be wiping out something in Chrome to cause this message, is anyone else experiencing this & is there a possible solution?

Thanks for any help,

Steve

Can you please let us know how many Search engines you have on your "chrome://settings/searchEngines"?

Can you also set your Default Search Engine manually to something different than Google and then run CCleaner again? Let us know the outcome.

Thanks

FOUND ACTUAL SOLUTION

Chrome saves search engine data (alternate search engines, default search engines) in an SQLite formatted file (Found at

(WINDOWS XP) C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data (WINDOWS XP)

Vista/7 C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data Vista/7

NOTE: THESE FILES ARE HIDDEN. YOU MUST SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS

If you look here you see that in the newest version of CCleaner (3.16.1666) the team "improved google chrome history cleaning". They must have included the file located at

(WINDOWS XP) C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data (WINDOWS XP)

Vista/7 C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data Vista/7

WORKAROUND HERE

1. open CCleaner.

2. Go to options.

3. Go to Exclude.

4. Add--> File:

To CCleaner Dev's: If you could, in the next release, please remove that file from the list of things that gets deleted that would be great.