recovering from SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo

JS_Paris

Hello experts,

Although I have no problem recovering deleted files from standard memory sticks or my internal hard disk, Recuva does not find any deleted files on the SanDisk I use to record sound notes on my Sony Ericson Mobile phone. This does not make sense because I record and delete sound notes all the time. I have taken the memory stick out of the phone and plugged it directly into the memory slot in my computer, and although the PC can read regular notes it finds no deleted notes...

Does anyone have a solution?

Many thanks.

Best regards, John

• Moderators

Hi John, and welcome to the forum.

It may be the .vnt file extension used by Sony to store "notes" which Recuva isn't recognizing.

You could try searching only for that file extension ...

File name

If you already know the file name you're looking for, type it into the Filename or path drop-down box. You can type a full file name (test.txt, for example), a partial file name (test, for example), or use standard Windows/DOS symbols to construct an advanced query (*.mp3, for example).

http://www.piriform.com/docs/recuva/using-recuva/advanced-mode/specifying-what-to-search-for

If nothing shows, then Recuva isn't hard wired for that file extension.

I can't find anything in way of freeware out there either, apart from "Photorec", a powerful Open Source recovery tool which is well worth a try.

http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/PhotoRec

It doesn't list "vnt" in it's recognized file extension list, but I do know it can recover stuff not in that list.

It looks a bit daunting at first as it isn't "point and click", but it does have a structured dialogue which is reasonably easy to follow.

Hope that helps.