incomplete freespace defragmentation

bonesugar

Hello.

I've been using defraggler for a long time. When I've changed my OS from Vista to 7, the upgrade DVD performed a new installation and backing up the old windows and program files to a "windows.old" folder. About 100Gb. It's up to no use and all deleted now. At the moment, I have about (somewhat fragmented) 100Gb free space on my 320Gb.

What happened is that it messed up my free space. When I choose to defrag my free space, the process ends without completion. It jumps from 21% to 100% in a blink. It also causes some file fragmentation (5-15Gb).

I've gone through several defrag free space-file-free space-file cycles to no success. It's certainly better than before but what I expect is a single string of blue cells (used) followed by a single of white cells (free) with the exception system files (hyberfil.sys, pagefile.sys). Is it not possible to get these two single blue and white chunks?

Thanks.

nah. I haven't and I doubt it. I guess this is the best state I can get. I have already got used to it. Whenever I install a major application, I install it twice. First the usual installation and then defgragmenting the hard drive. It's annoying how slow my i7 920 is.

Btw, Vista is considerably better than 7 in terms of hard drive usage. In vista, turning of indexing and system restore didn't help. I used to blame Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. not anymore.

I second the suggestion to run the filesystem checker, not so much for bad blocks but to eliminate the possibility that inconsistency is causing Defraggler the troubles.

Do not expect just to see 1 blue block & 1 white block, there's files which get allocated in the freespace area which are not compacted, as well as things like the System Volume Info.

In an old Vista filesytem, I found defrag with Defraggler causes a serious amount of fragmentation in the $Mft, which I can defragment with the tool Contig.

Hi,

I also have free blocks in the middle of the defragmented zone, I cannot make them dissapear and really make all defragmented files stick together without some freespace, I do it on a USB key so no system file/locked files.

I used Defraggler 2.03 and after Defreg files I used advanced "Defrag freespace", I rememeber having used this option on same key a few months ago with older Defraggler version and it did the job fine.

Is this a 2.03 bug ?

I attached a screenshot with the empty freespace zone.

post-46558-0-08725500-1300219939_thumb.gif

• 4 weeks later...