Improve performance of Desktop Shortcut scanning

TGP1994

I generally keep large files on my desktop, I don't know about anyone else, and I think that is why it takes CCleaner forever to run the Scanning Desktop Shortcuts portion of the cleaning. If any developer could optimize it, that would be great.

• Moderators

You could try moving these large files to a folder of your choice, and then right click each one and select "Send To.. Desktop (create shortcut)".

Shortcuts on your desktop instead of large files may make all the difference, but I really don't know for sure as I've never kept large files on my desktop.

If you do try this, copy the files to your chosen folder, and when they're safely over, then delete the ones on the desktop. Using the "move" option is never a good idea in case a file doesn't transfer properly.

Hope that helps.

You could try moving these large files to a folder of your choice, and then right click each one and select "Send To.. Desktop (create shortcut)".

Shortcuts on your desktop instead of large files may make all the difference, but I really don't know for sure as I've never kept large files on my desktop.

If you do try this, copy the files to your chosen folder, and when they're safely over, then delete the ones on the desktop. Using the "move" option is never a good idea in case a file doesn't transfer properly.

Hope that helps.

Well, I don't think it makes much sense to move the files every time I want to do a cleaning session, and wouldn't it just make more sense if Piriform fixes it rather than leave a bug out there?

I think you miss understood Dennis. You only need to make one change. Move all your large files to a folder not on your desktop. Right click each file and in the context menu "create shortcut"

Then move all your new short cuts to the desktop. That way you still have the same direct access to your files as if they was not short cuts.

No fate but what we make

I think you miss understood Dennis. You only need to make one change. Move all your large files to a folder not on your desktop. Right click each file and in the context menu "create shortcut"

Then move all your new short cuts to the desktop. That way you still have the same direct access to your files as if they was not short cuts.

Oh, ok. He wanted me to copy them. But a bug is a bug, guys.

No, he wants you to move them to see if the problem persists. Then if it does create short cuts for the time being.

We can only help you if you help your self. So simply by moving these files does the problem persist?

I how ever created 6 6gb files on my desktop and ran ccleaner with desktop short cuts. I could not replicate this error.

No fate but what we make

I generally keep large files on my desktop, I don't know about anyone else, and I think that is why it takes CCleaner forever to run the Scanning Desktop Shortcuts portion of the cleaning. If any developer could optimize it, that would be great.

Scanning Desktop Shortcuts merely validates the shortcut targets. The size of those target files should be irrelevant. I think ident's test demonstrates that.

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/ccleaner...ab/system-files