Problem after registry cleaning

Roma

Hi everyone,

I'm quite pleased with using CCleaner and have used it quite a lot at home. However, after I last used it and when I try to run a web-based (activeX) application through internet explorer, it starts trying to load a random msi file I have on my computer. So, something got screwed up after the registry was cleaned. When I restore the registry, this problem goes away. Any idea what might be causing this?

Thank you,

Roma

Hi Roma :)

Haven't seen this, but the answer is clearly there in your saved registry file - which is a very good start!

If no-one comes back and says they've seen this before, try either or both of these approaches:

* Look through the reg file for anything related to IE, to ActiveX controls or to the installer package (when you say random do you mean it's different each time?).

* Clean the registry on a category-by-category basis until the problem recurs - that will help to narrow the search down. The last saved reg file will then contain the offending key(s).

Even if you can't then spot it, it will narrow the problem down if you need to post the results back here, for example.

Hi Marmite,

And thank you. I went through the registry backup and I did find several entries related to activeX:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{06DD38D3-D187-11CF-A80D-00C04FD74AD8}]

@="ActiveXPlugin Object"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{06DD38D3-D187-11CF-A80D-00C04FD74AD8}\ProgID]

@="Microsoft.ActiveXPlugin.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{06DD38D3-D187-11CF-A80D-00C04FD74AD8}\VersionIndependentProgID]

@="Microsoft.ActiveXPlugin"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{399CB6C4-7312-11D2-B4D9-00105A0422DF}\ProgID]

@="HHActiveX.HHComponentActivator.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{399CB6C4-7312-11D2-B4D9-00105A0422DF}\VersionIndependentProgID]

@="HHActiveX.HHComponentActivator"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{959F94FD-DD1E-11D2-B559-00105A0422DF}\ProgID]

@="HHActiveX.GlossaryPane.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{959F94FD-DD1E-11D2-B559-00105A0422DF}\VersionIndependentProgID]

@="HHActiveX.GlossaryPane"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ShockwaveFlash]

"DisplayName"="Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX"

Is there an easy way to figure out which category these fall into? I'm trying to avoid doing it category by category if I can help it. Also, to be honest, I'm a little concerned about using CCleaner (or any other registry cleaner) at this point since I don't know what else might get screwed up until I try using it.

Hi Roma :)

Haven't seen this, but the answer is clearly there in your saved registry file - which is a very good start!

If no-one comes back and says they've seen this before, try either or both of these approaches:

* Look through the reg file for anything related to IE, to ActiveX controls or to the installer package (when you say random do you mean it's different each time?).

* Clean the registry on a category-by-category basis until the problem recurs - that will help to narrow the search down. The last saved reg file will then contain the offending key(s).

Even if you can't then spot it, it will narrow the problem down if you need to post the results back here, for example.

Is there an easy way to figure out which category these fall into? I'm trying to avoid doing it category by category if I can help it. Also, to be honest, I'm a little concerned about using CCleaner (or any other registry cleaner) at this point since I don't know what else might get screwed up until I try using it.

My guess is that all but the last are in the 'ActiveX ...' category.

You don't have to do one-by-one - you could do a few at a time. Because you're doing it carefully and backing up every time, you should be okay. You have already demonstrated that by successfully going back to a working state. Some members recommend that you only clean category-by-category anyway.

CCleaner's registry cleaner is fairly safe; it's unlikely you're 'breaking' anything else.

I guess if I was you and I was going to work through your particular problem I would make a note of everything you initially elected to clean. Uncheck all of the boxes and then add in your cleaning categories one or two at a time. Try selecting the 'ActiveX' and 'Installer' categories first (assuming they were ones you selected originally) and see if your problem recurs. If it does you know it's in those categories. If not, add a couple more, etc.

But of course you don't have to clean any of it ... you're not likely to get a massive performance gain for example.