Default Settings?

oaker47

Hello all,

I am a new poster here, so please forgive a rather pathetic first posting.

I have had CCleaner installed (free) for more than a year now and to date have usually only run it to remove unneccessary junk from my PC.

The main privacy software I have used to date is Privacy Guardian and I had faith in it's user-friendly method of hopefully removing all sensitive but unwanted junk from my PC.

However, I recently tried out the "Bleach Free Space on Disk" option in case the areas where I had been cleaning were not the only references on my hard drive and I might therefore be vulnerable still in the event of a Trojan assault.

Whilst most of the files were shredded, fragments remained, as did file names. Maybe I hadn't configured it correctly - who knows?

I was concerned that file names might give an interloper the edge in knowning what data could be worth persuing.

Whilst swatting up on the larger scope of what CCleaner is capable of, I came across a reference to its free space wiping ability and was keen to give it a try.

I quite stupidly un-checked all the boxes in the Windows section except the wipe that I required.

It appeared (at least, without the deep scan facility) to remove both files and their names and I was so impressed that I made my PayPal donation.

I had not made a note of the in-place default settings for the Windows element, thinking that they would be restored upon re-boot.

I'm somewhat embarrassed that this didn't happen and more or less in the same state about admitting that my computer knowledge doesn't extend to checking all the right boxes to re-configure it as it was originally downloaded.

Sorry to be a complete pain, but would anyone like to remind me what they were please?

In return I can only promise to scour this website for as much knowledge about the product as I can aspire to, so that my next posting here might not be so feeble!

Thank you in anticipation of your patience for a quite "silver surfer" who ought to know better.

Best regards - oaker47.