installed ccleaner on network pc and now losing share drive connection

renans

I work for a school district and for the past 8 years i've done the summer pc maintance doing the same thing and never had a problem. This past summer i've decided that i will install ccleaner on all machines to make my job easier but it seems that all it's done is make my job harder. the problem is that people are randomly losing their connection to the share drive on the file server. Every time a teacher or student logs on to a pc, it automatically creates a mapping to their share drive "h drive" but randomly they lose this connection and the only way to solve it is to restart the machines and then they are ok but this never happened before and the only thing i did different this year was install ccleaner on every pc to do the maintenance on the pc instead of me doing it manually. Can some one tell me if this has happened to any one before or if this is a bug in ccleaner. all the machines are windows xp sp3, running on a windows server 2003 network. My system administrator says that it's ccleaner causing the problem and i'm starting to believe him. I will be deleting ccleacer on all 1000 machines. This sucks, helppppp.

email address removed to prevent spamming

rs

Hi

I can't think of anything that ccleaner does that affects drive mappings.

Moreover, ccleaner doesn't run in the background, so if their mappings are just being randomly lost, then ccleaner cannot be responsible for actually dropping the connection.

The only caveat to that would be if ccleaner was doing something when it ran that somehow affected the ability to make or keep drive mappings, but as I said before I'm not aware of anything that ccleaner doing anything like that and it wouldn't particularly make sense as a 'cleaning' activity.

What mechanism are you using to make the drive mapping? And why do you need to reboot to reestablish this ... does the mechanism fail to work again once the mapping has been lost?

For the record, I have been maintaining a similar network running the same operating systems as mentioned. Ccleaner is installed on "ALL" machines including the Server. Not once have I experienced any problems that were cause by running CCleaner. To me it sounds more like your problem is with server 2003.

To me it sounds more like your problem is with server 2003.

Did you have something specific in mind? All of the connections appear to be being dropped client side. I don't think it's ccleaner - I'm wondering why you think it's 2K3.

@ renans - is the share that's being mapped to on the server? Is there a connection limit on this share?

As you know, many things can cause problems like this. Without knowing exactly how your network is configured, it would be near impossible for me to speculate. If it were me, and ?ALL? the clients were randomly losing their connection to the shared drive, I would first look at what they all have in COMMON when they connect. Routers, switches, etc.

You mentioned that this problem started this summer. Let me ask you this, was something replaced in the network or added this summer which could be causing this problem?

I do remember having a similar problem that had to do with the auto-disconnect feature in windows. Some clients were being disconnected after intervals of inactivity and to reconnect they needed to reboot. I believe I changed a registry key and all was fine.

I do feel it is not Ccleaner because if you are not running CCleaner, it has NO EFFECT on the system.

Good luck?