itunes playlists

tjgreely

• Moderators

Hi tjgreely, and welcome to Piriform.

CCleaner won't touch the iTunes folder unless you have it located in a non default location. In XP SP3, it resides in "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music" usually, and CCleaner doesn't touch that location.

I have iTunes, so I'm speaking from experience.

Which Operating System are you using, and have you placed your iTunes somewhere other than "My Music"?

Hi tjgreely, and welcome to Piriform.

CCleaner won't touch the iTunes folder unless you have it located in a non default location. In XP SP3, it resides in "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music" usually, and CCleaner doesn't touch that location.

I have iTunes, so I'm speaking from experience.

Which Operating System are you using, and have you placed your iTunes somewhere other than "My Music"?

I have Windows Vista Home Premium eddition and itunes 9.......

The default location is "C:\Users\Owner\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music"

I tried to set ccleaner to "exclude" that folder and it still doesnt help....

• Moderators

I have no idea at the moment why anything should be removed from that location by CCleaner.

I'm running XP, so some input from any members running iTunes with Vista would be really helpful here, so we'll see if we get that input, and then take it from there.

It may be one for the devs to look at.

Hope that helps for now.

May I suggest that you run analyze, then double click the first line and look at the detailed results item by item.

You can choose the next line with the drop down box on the detailed results page.

Alternately, you can use the search box to search for itunes or music on the detailed results page.

If CCleaner is listing anything from itunes that you don't want it to clean, exclude your findings in CCleaner.

Run CCleaner as normal, and verify that your play list and music are still there.

Please report back in an effort to help the devs as DennisD has stated.

• 9 months later...

Hi

I've just discovered after weeks of blaming Apple :-), that its ccleaner that is messing up my .plist file for itunes.

I've got iTunes 10, Win 7 x64 on a brand new installation. Itunes prefs were kept untill I ran CCleaner (latest version). There is nothing in CCleaner that says its going to touch that file, but it does.

The .plist file is not being directly edited either but it is rather annoying that every time i run CCleaner, my itunes messes up.

I dont run the registry part of CCleaner so its not deleting any of the things there.

• Moderators

Hi Angelus.

Unless something has changed in iTunes 10 (I still have 9), then the playlists are stored in the iTunes "Music Library.xml" file, located in the "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes" folder.

The .plist files located in "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.Resources", are something else as far as I'm aware.

Try excluding the "Music Library.xml" file, and then see if running CCleaner still messes things up or not.

If that fixes the problem, then CCleaner is accessing a part of your computer it doesn't touch unless manually directed to, or there's a major bug.

The "My Documents" system folders are always looked upon as sacrosanct by any program worth its salt, and CCleaner has never touched any folder or file in there in all the years I've had CCleaner and iTunes on my PC.

I've tried researching this, but I can't find any info as to whether or not iTunes 10 has a different format for storing Playlists.

You could try opening the "Music Library.xml" file with notepad, and a Playlist is stored in the format shown in this screenshot. The Playlists appear to be located at the end of the "Music Library.xml" file.

Cpavts.jpg

There aren't any track or album names, just track ID numbers

Hope that helps, but post back if you still have the issue.

EDIT: The OP's exclude in post#3 above wouldn't work as the xml file is located outside of the "iTunes Music" folder.