Recuva DEP problem

alcanh

I tried to install the latest version of Recuva and was stopped by my computer's DEP function. It says Recuva is trying to access memory locations dedicated for only Windows to access. I am running the latest update to XP-Pro. on an Acer Aspire 5112WLMi

Please advise how I can get this software to work. Thank you in advance.

That's interesting; I've never seen anyone post here about DEP issues. If you have a look at this article it tells you how to configure DEP through the boot.ini file and/or through Control Panel / System / Advanced tab / Performance settings. This article is slightly more technical.

Just consider that any changes that you make could have wide implications - and I'd be a little concerned that you're getting this problem simply by trying to install recuva. Do you get the same problem deploying the portable version?

I wouldn't use any software that is stopped by DEP detection.

The thing that did occur to me afterwards was whether the OP had downloaded a kosher version of recuva.

The last I'd do is to touch the DEP settings to get a faulty software working.

And of course the kosher version of recuva isn't 'faulty software'. But it's not unknown for perfectly 'good' software to have DEP compatibility issues ... I'm sure I've encountered it before. It's a case of being sure of the provenance of your software and then not compromising the rest of your system if you choose to make an exception for it.

I guess really the issue here is the particular installer the OP is running ... @alcanh ... where did you download it from?

• 5 weeks later...
I tried to install the latest version of Recuva and was stopped by my computer's DEP function. It says Recuva is trying to access memory locations dedicated for only Windows to access. I am running the latest update to XP-Pro. on an Acer Aspire 5112WLMi

Please advise how I can get this software to work. Thank you in advance.

I have been running into the same problem, i found out that the version 1.26 is the last version of recuva, on which DEP is not complaining on my machine (HP dc7600)