Ccleaner Freezes rapidly

Liranl

Hello all,

I am using ccleaner for a long timr now.

I have installed it on lots of computer and In the last few days I am having a freezing problem in a few computer (image attached)

I cant see any log file, I have tried to uninstall and then re install, I delete all files and folder but still the same...

I have the last version tested too...

anyone ?

post-32239-1254772720_thumb.jpg

post-32239-1254772720_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Hi Liranl, and welcome to Piriform.

You must have IE8 installed on the computers giving you the problem. Sticking on Index.dat with IE8 has been reported many times, but unless I've missed it I don't think there's a fix yet.

If I'm wrong someone will put me right, and if I'm right I'll chase this one up, and all I can suggest until you have a remedy is to uncheck Index.dat in the Internet Explorer section. Not a very good solution, but a temporary one I hope.

As soon as I have any positive information I'll post it unless one of the other members beats me to it.

Hope that helps.

Hi Liranl, and welcome to Piriform.

You must have IE8 installed on the computers giving you the problem. Sticking on Index.dat with IE8 has been reported many times, but unless I've missed it I don't think there's a fix yet.

If I'm wrong someone will put me right, and if I'm right I'll chase this one up, and all I can suggest until you have a remedy is to uncheck Index.dat in the Internet Explorer section. Not a very good solution, but a temporary one I hope.

As soon as I have any positive information I'll post it unless one of the other members beats me to it.

Hope that helps.

I chacked in two computers running IE8 (same version) - Ccleaner works graet on one but not on the other...

anything else could be causing it ? where can I find Ccleaner log ? (I can see at the MS event log - application Hang error for the ccleaner app)

• Moderators

At this stage I would only be guessing as to the cause of the hang, and one PC working OK and one not just helps to complicate things. CCleaner doesn't have a log as far as I know.

I am bringing this issue to the attention of the devs, and if they're not already working on it, I'm sure they will be.

Are these problem PC's using Vista? I recollect something about Vista index.dat files growing unusually big, and a particular mention of the following one:

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

Sorry I can't be any more help at the moment, but the issue will be sorted soon I'm sure.

At this stage I would only be guessing as to the cause of the hang, and one PC working OK and one not just helps to complicate things. CCleaner doesn't have a log as far as I know.

I am bringing this issue to the attention of the devs, and if they're not already working on it, I'm sure they will be.

Are these problem PC's using Vista? I recollect something about Vista index.dat files growing unusually big, and a particular mention of the following one:

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

Sorry I can't be any more help at the moment, but the issue will be sorted soon I'm sure.

TNX for the try anyhow :)

All the computers running XP PRO SP3

• Moderators

When you said you had the latest version, I assumed you had that one.

It's been out since 28th Sept., and it's that version in your screenshot in your first post. Anyways, I'm pleased you've got it working, but I'm definitely puzzled all the same. In a nice way of course. :)